VMware Cloud Community
janibasham
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter 6.5 U2B installation fails in Windows.

Windows OS - Windows server 2008R2 standard edition

Vcenter Version - 6.5 U2B

Deployment type - External Deployment (R2)

Our requirement -

1 PSC, 1 VCSA and 1 windows VC.

successfully installed PSC & VCSA separately (no issues found during the installation).

Issue faced after performing below steps during windows VC installation -

1. Created new VM with 2008R2 standard edition,

2. Installed VMware tools and synced VM time with ESXi host,

3. Added VC-ISO - "VMware-VIM-all-6.5.0-8815520" and tried installing VC.

4.Ran into issue - "failed to generate Virtualcenter symmetric encryption key" (PFA attached screenshot). Faced the same issue even with embedded PSC.

5. I thought it could be issue with windows and so updated windows to latest,

6. Again tried installing after which faced new latest issue "Unable to connect to Vcenter Single-Sign-On"(PFA vc-issue=latest.jpg).

7. PSC is up & running without issues (PFA screenshot).

I have attached logs for latest issue. Please check and let me know how to resolve this.

19 Replies
Devi94
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Have you created these boxes on vmware workstation ?

0 Kudos
janibasham
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Devi,

I have ESXi 5.5 on which VMs were deployed. Out of those VMs, 1 is Windows where i need to install VC.

Thanks,

janibasha

0 Kudos
Vijay2027
Expert
Expert

I've ran into same issue recently.

Can you verfify if the patches MS17-010 and MS17-012, are applied on the Windows 2008 R2.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4012212/march-2007-security-only-quality-update-for-windows...  

0 Kudos
janibasham
Contributor
Contributor

Please let me know how to check these.

0 Kudos
Vijay2027
Expert
Expert

installed.JPG

0 Kudos
janibasham
Contributor
Contributor

I am just looking at them, will tell if they have installed because some of them are failed.

0 Kudos
SupreetK
Commander
Commander

I had recommended the same to another user and they confirmed the installation was successful post installing the two roll-up patches -

Failed to install VCenter server v6.5U2

Please consider marking this answer as "correct" or "helpful" if you think your questions have been answered.

Cheers,

Supreet

0 Kudos
janibasham
Contributor
Contributor

Installed both recommended patches (PFA updates-installed.jpg) and tried installing VC but no go.

Please see the new screenshot attached.

0 Kudos
golddiggie
Champion
Champion

I have to ask... Why are you gong with a Windows installed vCenter Server at this point? Especially since you already have one vCSA. Plus, why (in all that's holy) would you go with Windows 2008r2 for the OS?? Especially since it appears that you created this VM just for the vCenter Server install. I would at least pick 2012r2 (patched to be current first). Of course, if you have an old vCenter Server that you're looking to upgrade, I'd just do the migration to the vCSA now. It will save you from doing that with your next upgrade.

0 Kudos
janibasham
Contributor
Contributor

We have the requirement to install windows VC. Since i have the win 2k R2 handy i installed it.

0 Kudos
Devi94
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Do you have DNS entries in place ? nslookup working for both your psc and windows server ?

0 Kudos
janibasham
Contributor
Contributor

Yes no issues with DNS entries and i am using SP1.

0 Kudos
Devi94
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

can you share your psc logs at the time installation failure ?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

What is the requirement to have vCenter on Windows, if I may ask? Are you/they/management aware there will be no more Windows vCenters after the current one?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Also, if you do have some archaic reason for requiring vCenter on Windows, why on Earth would you deploy it on a new 10-year-old operating system? None of what you're doing seems like a good idea to start with.

0 Kudos
golddiggie
Champion
Champion

2008 r2 went end of life in January of 2015... It goes end of support in January of 2020. IMO, best to NOT deploy ANY VMs with it and work to migrate any VMs with it to ones with newer operating systems. Either 2012r2 or 2016.

Of course, for any new vCenter Servers (6.5 and above) the vCSA is the SMART choice.

janibasham
Contributor
Contributor

We have need to check our product compatibility with windows VC. Please let me know what exactly is the log that you want.

0 Kudos
Devi94
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

all the logs under /var/log/vmware/sso.

0 Kudos
SupreetK
Commander
Commander

Looks to be a problem with NTP. Is everything in proper sync with the NTP server?

Cheers,

Supreet

0 Kudos