VMware Cloud Community
sastre
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vCenter 6.0 to vCenter 6.5 Upgrade Procedure

Hi,

I'm looking for a little advice regarding a vCenter upgrade from 6.0 U3b to 6.5. Our architecture comprises of two VCSA servers, both with their own external PSC. They were deployed in the following order:

1) PSC1
2) VCSA1
3) PSC2 (setting PSC1 as the replication partner).

4) VCSA2

From the recommended topologies from , ours is closest to this:

vc01.PNG

although technically, it's more like this:

vc02.PNG

What I can't recall is how exactly these are setup with regard to single sign on, primarily because I've found the documentation confusing (they are configured to work against Active Directory for signing in, but I don't remember if this was done on both PSC nodes or just the primary and then it replicated that data).

They were all deployed via the command line, using JSON files for the configuration. 'vsphere.local' was specified for the 'domain-name', and 'Default-First-Site' was specified for the 'site-name' for *all* 4 servers. As I understand it, this would make them all part of the same site.

Documentation seems to suggest upgrading the PSCs first. So would that be upgrading PSC1 and then PSC2? I'd assume that upgrading PSC1 would break the replication between PSC1 and PSC2, until PSC2 was upgraded also?

After this, I would look to upgrade VCSA1 and then VCSA2.

Can anyone else confirm whether this would be the correct approach?

Thank you.

2 Replies
Camero
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Your plan of upgrade looks good as there are only two PSCs and are replicating. Once completion of migration of data from OLD PSCs to the newly deployed PSCs you may proceed with the upgrade of the VCs.

===From the documentation===

Important:

For topologies with external Platform Services Controller instances, you must upgrade the replicating Platform Services Controller instances in a sequence. After the successful upgrade of all Platform Services Controller instances in the domain, you can perform concurrent upgrades of multiple vCenter Server appliances that point to a common external Platform Services Controller instance.

===

Please refer to the documentation for step by step approach & other important info.

doc: Upgrading the vCenter Server Appliance and Platform Services Controller Appliance

Supported topologies in 6.5 :  Supported and deprecated topologies for VMware vSphere 6.5 (2147672) | VMware KB

Important Info to consider before upgrading to 6.5: Important information before upgrading to vSphere 6.5 (2147548) | VMware KB

Best practices for upgrading to vCenter server 6.5: https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=21476...

JimJonesWV
Contributor
Contributor

I believe you are on the right path, PSCs first theN VCSAs. I do not think it will matter which PSC you do first as it a distributed replication (think AD) Roth has all the parts you need. Also may want to check out the upgrade planning tool

Announcing the vSphere 6.5 Topology and Upgrade Planning Tool - VMware vSphere Blog