VMware Cloud Community
ksmpu1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vCenter 6.0 to 6.5 without Update Manager

Good day,

I'm wanting to upgrade my vcenter 6.0 to 6.5, but I don't have Update Manager. Is this possible to do without UM, or will I need it. If I'm able to continue without it, are there any issues of which I should be aware?

Thanks in advance.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Upgrading a vCSA is a pretty straight forward task.

Mount the installation ISO image to your PC, and start the deployment wizard. From there select "Upgrade" and follow the steps in the wizard. The "Upgrade" deployment will deploy a new vCSA, and take over all setings from the existing one.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
themanintheiron
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

Let me know whether you are Using vCSA or Windows  VC ??  Please check below link may be this will help you.

Step by step guide to updating vCenter 6.5 appliance
https://communities.vmware.com/t5/vSphere-Upgrade-Install/Step-by-step-procedure-to-update-vCenter-s...

0 Kudos
ksmpu1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for your reply. 

I'm using the vCSA.

I noticed that the step-by-step guide you posted was updating from 6.5 to 6.5U3. Would this guide still be helpful if I'm going from 6.0 to 6.5?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Upgrading a vCSA is a pretty straight forward task.

Mount the installation ISO image to your PC, and start the deployment wizard. From there select "Upgrade" and follow the steps in the wizard. The "Upgrade" deployment will deploy a new vCSA, and take over all setings from the existing one.

André

0 Kudos
themanintheiron
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, it will help.  Upgrading vCenter is pretty simple and straight forward.  The above link will help you.

0 Kudos
ksmpu1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks!

So, is the Update Manager only for installations on a Windows Server?

0 Kudos
themanintheiron
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You said that you are updating from 6.5 to 6.5U3 but You didnt answer my question for whcih version you are trying t oupgrade.  The one vCenter you are upgrading is running as vCSA or Windows  vCenter.??

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Its built in to the 6.5 and above appliances

VMware vSphere Update Manager 6.5 Release Notes

• Update Manager as a service in the vCenter Server Appliance: The Update Manager server is fully integrated with the vCenter Server Appliance and is enabled by default with the deployment of the vCenter Server Appliance.
0 Kudos
ksmpu1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm sorry, but I did answer your question. I replied that I'm using vcsa.

0 Kudos