VMware Cloud Community
abeeftaco
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vCenter 6.0 - Powered off VM error when power on not if connected to host

Hello,

So I have a vCenter 6.0 setup with two ESXi servers. Each ESXi servers have 7 vms each. During some routine maintenance I shutdown one vm which is an Exchange server through vSphere client connected to vCenter. All other vms were powered on and functioning properly. About 6 - 7 minutes later I finished the maintenance and tried powering on the vm. It gave me the following error:

Power On virtual machine

EXCSERV05

The operation is not allowed in the current state of the host.

Invoking prechecks

VSPHERE.LOCAL\Administrator

I then logged into the ESXi host through vSphere client and tried powering it on and it powered on without any problems. This problem happens only with this vm.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kermic
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Also removing the affected VM from inventory (not deleting from disk!) and re-adding it back tends to resolve this kind of issues sometimes.

...just my 2 cents

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
nra1941
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have seen this before, since no one has answered this for 3 months, I tend to believe this is an isolated issue (software bug??), I would say start this VM and check VMtools to see if it is the latest version, also make sure there is no storage issue for that host, and try to reboot this host to see  if this issue goes away.  Good luck!

As you have seen before, there are just so many bugs/issues with their overly-complicated stuff, the quality of their code is probably not good.

0 Kudos
kermic
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Also removing the affected VM from inventory (not deleting from disk!) and re-adding it back tends to resolve this kind of issues sometimes.

...just my 2 cents

0 Kudos
JuanAntonioVoui
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have this issue in a clean install with two esxi and a vCenter appliance (6.0 U2)

The machines starts correctly from ESXi.

Error is only from vCenter (client or html).

I remove hosts and connect again and machines sucesfully starts, but shutdown the system completly (ESXi and vCenter) the problem is over again.

Aditionnally, machine don't start and no migrate machines allowed.

0 Kudos