VMware Cloud Community
Sysxp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vCenter 6.0 - Health Status disappeared!

Hello!

After upgrading to vCenter 6 "Health Status" information under "Configuration" tab disappeared in both vShere Client and WebClient.

The only way to see it now is to connect directly to host using vSphere Client.

Here's how it should look like:

vCenter Health.PNG

And here's how it looks now if you connect to vCenter:

vCenterH1.PNG

Is there a way to get this Health information back?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Sysxp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ok, I found an answer to all the issues we encountered with vCenter 6. Not the one I was hoping for, but still.

We roll back to 5.5! Neat.

Everything is just normal now - plugins, CPU usage, strange "quick stats is not up to date" messages, even the WebClient is working normal again.

I guess, we'll try once again in a year. :smileygrin:

0 Kudos
unsichtbare
Expert
Expert

You are right! It is just plain not there in the C# Client!

One minor point, in vCenter, the health status moves to its own tab, not a link on the configuration tab.

Nonetheless, it's not there!

In the dreaded Web Client, you can access health status, but that does me no good as we will not Qualify systems which use Flash. Lack of health status reporting without using the Web Client equals a step backward!

+The Invisible Admin+ If you find me useful, follow my blog: http://johnborhek.com/
0 Kudos
nickirwin99
Contributor
Contributor

I logged a call with VWMare as I assumed it was a bug.  This was the reply.

============
Resolution:

With the introduction of vSphere 6.0 the support from C# client is slowly
moving away and the Hardware Status tab is ruled out from the C# client, it is
available only in Web Client.
============

In other words, we removed it by design as we want everyone to use the web client - trouble is they are adopting the "by force" method and not make a "better product method".

Sysxp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I hope they start loosing big money real soon, as this is the only way for them to hear us and make thigs right.

Only then they will finally understand that "something goes wrong" and start pulling back. Like MS, who finally accepted that their stupid, slow and resource hungry "tiles" are just not needed on desktop OS. It was years of agressive pushing this sh*t before they realize that it was wrong.

Current state of affairs is just not acceptable. (flash, need of 2 clients, etc,etc).

I think that decision to remove and abandon C# client is very wrong. (at least until they have fast and bug-free HTML5 client with ALL the features in one place).

And yes, WebClient 6 is even WORSE than tht 5.5 (in my environment) - it even opens from time to time giving unbelievable errors like 403, freezing and lots of bugs just everywhere.

0 Kudos
unsichtbare
Expert
Expert

Tail wagging the dog. VMware is TELLING users what they will get and not listening to the people who actually use the product!

Problem is, where truly mission-critical servers are deployed in a high-security environment, Qualification is the rule of the day. New systems must be tested/Qualified, sometimes for months, prior to being placed in production. For many of my clients needs, the web-client will not be utilized as Flash is excluded from mission-critical environments.

Therefore, for all intents and purposes, health status is available in vSphere 5.5 and not available in 6!

Here are topics that might interest people who believe VMware is headed in the wrong direction:

+The Invisible Admin+ If you find me useful, follow my blog: http://johnborhek.com/
0 Kudos
de2rfg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Oh well. So this explains my problems after installing VCSA 6.0 and adding the first hosts? I'm still not sure about the errors in the plugin view.

fresh VCSA 6.0 install and some problems (hardware tab missing etc)

Edit: List of features not available in VMware vSphere Client 6.0.x

0 Kudos
LucianoPatrão

Hi,

vCenter 6.0 do not use HW Status anymore, is only the health tab in vSphere Web Client.

https://kb.vmware.com/kb/2112847

VMware KB: The Hardware Status Tab is no longer available in the vSphere Client after upgrading to v...

Hope this helps

Luciano Patrão

VCP-DCV, VCAP-DCV Design 2023, VCP-Cloud 2023
vExpert vSAN, NSX, Cloud Provider, Veeam Vanguard
Solutions Architect - Tech Lead for VMware / Virtual Backups

0 Kudos
mightyvarun
Contributor
Contributor

From version 6 onwards Hardware Tab is removed from vCenter , However same can be found in webclient ---> Go to ESXi host --> Monitor Tab (In right pane) ---> Hardware status.

Regards,

Varun Khatri

0 Kudos