VMware Cloud Community
Benoire
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter 5.5u2e issue relating to PCI Passthrough: Invalid Device ID

Hi,

I'm certain this should sit here as it only appears when a host is attached to vCenter for management.  Basically, I have a number of devices (not on any HCL list) that require passing through to a windows powered virtual machine.  If I use the .NET windows client, without the host being attached to vCenter then it works fine and the PCI devices become attached and ready to use; however as soon as I manage the host through vCenter, I get an invalid device ID when trying to pass the same PCI devices through to the same VM that just allowed it through the .NET client.  Now, this is rather annoying as I'm testing vCenter for a possible purchase and currently the only way to make this stick is to attach the PCI devices when the host has been removed from vCenter, this allows the host to be re-added and the configuration to then stick.

I've noticed this invalid device id error before on a number of other posts here, plus across the internet.  Is this something that VMWare is likely to look at?  Has Vsphere 6 solved these issues as I'm currently testing 5.5?  I'd like to be able to manage my Vsphere cluster from a single interface and vCenter looked promising until I hit this error! For reference the error was PCI passthrough device ID (xxxxx) is invalid.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Chris

0 Kudos
0 Replies