VMware Cloud Community
aarichards
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter 5.5 to 6.5 (Windows) Upgrade Failed

During upgrade of vCenter 5.5 to 6.5, error: 'Installation of component VCSServiceManager failed with error code '1603'. Check the logs for more details'.

After referring to KB 2127519.  We confirmed .NET Framework was installed but not the entire package.  We installed the entire package, but when trying to run the installer again we received a Setup Interrupted message requesting we Restore the vCenter 5.5, and external DB. 

We re-verted the snapshot successfully, but our DB backup was not recent (upgrade took place on Friday), and our backup has since been overwritten.

Currently we are at pre-upgrade vCenter 5.5 but with an upgraded DB at 6.5.  The vCenter Server service will not start, and I cannot get past the SSO login portion of the wizard.  vpxd logs show:

2018-03-05T12:09:08.763-05:00 [06448 info 'utilvpxdVdb'] [VpxdVdb::SetDBType] Logging in to DSN: vCenter Connection SQLNCLI 10 with username vpxuser

2018-03-05T12:09:08.907-05:00 [06448 info 'Default'] [VdbSchemaLoader::LookupSchemaFromDB] Loaded schema and index information from DB

2018-03-05T12:09:08.907-05:00 [06448 error 'Default'] Database version id '650' is incompatible with this release of VirtualCenter.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

You may want to contact GSS to see if there is a reversion process for a database upgrade. Other than that, there may not be any other option than to restore your database to some portion in time (whatever you have) and revert your vCenter once again. Alternatively, rather than perform an in-place upgrade to another Windows vCenter, you may want to go ahead and migrate to the vCSA which has no external DB requirements at all.

0 Kudos
aarichards
Contributor
Contributor

I've reached out to GSS.. awaiting reply.

Anyone within the Forums know of a downgrade procedure for an SQL Database? I tried even modifying the VER_ID to 550 to start the vcenter service but it didn't like that either...

Right now we are looking to keep Windows version within our environment.

Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos