VMware Cloud Community
Phog
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vCenter 5.5 "Quick stats on <hostname> is not up-to-date"

I just did an upgrade from 5.1u1 to 5.5 on an HP DL380 G6.  I did a brand new vCSA 5.5 and added my hosts.  Every host now says "Quick stats on <hostname> is not up-to-date" in the yellow configuration issues box.  It says this same thing whether the host is running 5.1 or 5.5, which leads me to believe it's a vCenter issue?  Has anyone else seen this?

43 Replies
Cyberfed27
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Just upgraded from 5.1 to 5.5 and we are seeing this as well on all of our hosts.

Help!?

0 Kudos
Precht
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm in the same boat.  Just upgraded last night and I'm seeing the same thing on most of my hosts. I haven't rebooted any of my vm hosts yet.

5.5 seems to be pretty buggy.  There was a big issue with upgrading the SSO server.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

To get to the bottom of this, we need more information and an SR would help. Through the SR we would be able to exchange logs and further details.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Can you raise an SR and get me the details?

0 Kudos
iforbes
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

The issue people are referring to in this post has nothing to do with the 5.5 hosts. I'm getting the same issue and have 5.1 hosts being managed by vCenter 5.5. My environment is a fresh install for vCenter and ESXi hosts, so it doesn't look like this has anything to do with upgrades.

0 Kudos
iforbes
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

The issue people are referring to in this post has nothing to do with the 5.5 hosts. I'm getting the same issue and have 5.1 hosts being managed by vCenter 5.5. My environment is a fresh install for vCenter and ESXi hosts, so it doesn't look like this has anything to do with upgrades.

0 Kudos
Precht
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It's not necessarily upgrades. I believe its something to do with vCenter 5.5 that are causing ESXi hosts to show the error message.

0 Kudos
mirceaflorin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

Same here, with fresh install . I've installed 5.5 yesterday in my home lab ( which is running on VMware Workstation ) .

The vCenter and one ESXi were fresh installed ( even the OS for vCenter ) . and I get the same Quick stats on xxx is not up-to-date . I've added one of my old ESXi 5.1 hosts in the inventory , getting the same error, so pretty much is a vCenter related bug

Considering that there are a lot of people with the same issue, what is VMware waiting for ? I'm more than willing to provide any logs needed in order to solve this, but how can I open a ticket considering that this is my test env, with no licenses attached ?

Regards.

0 Kudos
krismcewan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

FURTHER UPDATE

my IBM hosts have cleared. but my HP host is still an issue.

Cant log an SR as I am also in a LAB environment.  i have highlighted this via ather channels though.

A VMware Consultant in Scotland for Taupo Consulting http://www.taupoconsulting.co.uk If you think I'm right or helpful award me some points please
0 Kudos
mauser_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

One mor "strange" thing.

After updated to version 5.5 i am hearing a annoying sound from my ESXI-hosts (HP).

This sound was only available when migrating VMs between the host.

This is in my lab-environment.

Anybody who recognise this?

Thx

0 Kudos
krismcewan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Just a though but has everyone used the Generic ESXi or anyone got an HP specific one>

A VMware Consultant in Scotland for Taupo Consulting http://www.taupoconsulting.co.uk If you think I'm right or helpful award me some points please
0 Kudos
mauser_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have used the HP Customized  + integrate 1 extra .vib by myself.

0 Kudos
Cyberfed27
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I'm using the generic VMware ISO as well as the Dell Customized 5.1 ISO, I get the warning message on all the ESXi hosts regardless.

Hosts are at 5.1 vCenter is at 5.5

I will open an SR at some point, I have other pressing issues I need to deal with.

0 Kudos
Bartman71
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I disabled DRS and migrated all my servers to a new vDistributed Switch verson 5.5 from 5.1 and re-enabled DRS and since that the warning disappeared.

I am using HP OEM image.

Cheers

Marc

0 Kudos
mauser_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

There should also be a solution without a Distributed Switch?

0 Kudos
Bartman71
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Well - vDistributed Switch does not seem to be the solution - It came back on a few of my servers again over night.

Marc

0 Kudos
johnmac80
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am getting this irritating message also - reconfig for vSphere HA only worked for a while. :smileycry:

0 Kudos
Cyberfed27
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I noticed that one of my ESXi hosts is not showing the warning message. All the others are.

They are all built to the same configuration and patch levels too. Weird.

0 Kudos
ralfklein
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have the same on 4 of 5 ESXi 5.5 hosts. All hosts updated from 5.1.U1 to 5.5.0 (HP OEM image) and the vCenter 5.5 is a new installation.

After "reconfigure for vSphere HA" the messages don't show again.

0 Kudos
ksram
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I posted following on another similar thread: Re: error "esxi 5.5 quick stats is not up to date" following the installation of ESXi5.5

Seems like there is check enabled on vSphere 5.5 relating to quick stats collection. These quick stats are collected every minute from every host in the inventory. This has not changed from 5.0/5.1, But a check to verify the collection process is enabled by default in 5.5. The verification is done  by checking recent successful collection time. If this time is more 2 times the interval (1 minute * 2) event is generated to say quick stats is not up to date.

Seeing this event can mean any of the following,

• One sequence of quick stats collection is taking longer than 1 minute. So  some hosts are not been polled for over 2 minutes
    • To validate track the log lines containing "Invoke done (HOSTNAME, vpxapi.VpxaService.fetchQuickStats)". There should be one for every minute for each host. If the difference between two successive invocations is more than 2 minutes then you know the event will be generated.
  • Host is not able to send valid quick stats
    • Check the vpxa logs on the ESXi hosts. (BEGIN/FINISH tasks for vpxapi.VpxaService.fetchQuickStatst)
  • Host is disconnected
    • A host disconnected event should co-inside the not up-to-date event
  • Host is just added to inventory
    • Quick stats Not refreshed yet. So you know
  • Host delays the completion of sending the stats
    • Check the vpxa logs on the ESXi host  (BEGIN/FINISH tasks for vpxapi.VpxaService.fetchQuickStatst)

The quick stats data is mainly used for

• Real time statistics displayed in the client (Periodic Performance stats collection is not related to quick stats )
  • DRS uses the statistics to measure the load and suggest recommendations

Currently VMware engineering is investigating the issues. At this moment  mitigating or suppressing the event seems to be only solution. I will post once I have some confirmations on this.

Thanks

Ram