VMware Cloud Community
cer113
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vCenter 5.1 to 5.5

Hi,

I have read many articles about upgrading from 5.1 to 5.5 in place upgrade but at my company we decided to go against that. I would like to devote new virtual machine or physical computer and install fresh copy of 5.5 and then import all data to the new fresh 5.5 server. T

How would I go about that.

Thanks a lot

0 Kudos
10 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

You might want to look at the UPgrade Guide -http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-55/topic/com.vmware.ICbase/PDF/vsphere-esxi-vcenter-server-55-upgrade... - it provides instruction how to move to a new vCenter server

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
toemk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What data do you want to import?

0 Kudos
cer113
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

well basically everything so i can see every host and every virtual machine. Database will not be moved as it is sitting on cluster where it is safe

0 Kudos
f10
Expert
Expert

All the data that is reported in vCenter is stored in the vCenter DB (except for custom permissions & license keys). Are you using an external DB or the inbult SQL Express? Your migration plan would depend on the type of DB, if its external DB on a different server on the new vCenter server you have to create a new DSN and point to the existing DB. Now run the installer and chose "Do NOT overwrite the DB" with this the data in the vCenter DB is retained. However do backup your DB before performing this migration.

If you are using SQL Express then following the migration approach provided in the document.

-f10

http://highoncloud.blogspot.in/

About VMware Virtualization on NetApp

Regards, Arun Pandey VCP 3,4,5 | VCAP-DCA | NCDA | HPUX-CSA | http://highoncloud.blogspot.in/ If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
cer113
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

hi

no database will not be moved and it is stored on 2008 R2 Cluster so that will stay where it is

0 Kudos
King_Robert
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

To resolve this issue, remove the existing Active Directory Identity Source, and recreate it with a Domain Alias.

To remove the existing Active Directory Identity Source, and recreate it with a Domain Alias:

1. Log into the vSphere Web Client using the Admin@System-Domain (for 5.1) or administrator@vsphere.local credentials (for 5.5).
  2. Click Administration.
  3. Under Sign-On and Discovery, click Configuration.
  4. Click the Active Directory identity source.
  5. Under Actions, click Edit Identity Source.
  6. Make note of the information in the identity source.
  7. Click Cancel.
  8. Under Actions, click Delete Identity Source.
  9. Recreate the identity source using the short NETBIOS name in the Domain Alias field.
  10. Click Test Connection.
  11. Click OK.
0 Kudos
vmrulz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You might also think about moving the VC appliance at this point. VC on Windows days are numbered. No more databases to manage.

0 Kudos
raog
Expert
Expert

Err you cant use SQL 2k8R2 DB with the appliance.

Regards

Girish

To Virtualization and beyond! PS::If you felt the answer as helpful, please mark it as helpful/answered so that it helps other users as well! Blog:: www.virtualtipsntricks.com
0 Kudos
vmrulz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

And why wold you want to? The point in my mind is to get away from managing another SQL database. The appliance accomplishes that and works well with its embedded DB or remote Oracle if you must.

0 Kudos
raog
Expert
Expert

Because cer113 has his DB in a SQL cluster and they dont want to move away from it Smiley Happy

Regards

Girish

To Virtualization and beyond! PS::If you felt the answer as helpful, please mark it as helpful/answered so that it helps other users as well! Blog:: www.virtualtipsntricks.com
0 Kudos