VMware Cloud Community
Daver19
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter 5.1 Unrecoverable

Good Morning All,

I have a very small vSphere 5.1 environment with 2 Physical Hosts (Dell R710's running about 12 Windows VM's) that was working fine until last week when I de-provisioned and got rid of an old DC. It hadn't held any FSMO roles in years. I noticed on Friday I couldn't get into my usual vSphere console with my credentials and after troubleshooting for hours I was able to get back in with the admin@system-domain credentials. Couldn't see the working environment in there but was able to update the Identity Services Source that was still pointing at that old DC. This didn't fix anythign so I spent more hours going through various whitepapers and KB articles, removing the Inventory Services, re-adding, re-pointing everything etc and now the virtualcenter server won't even run at all. Chews up 100% CPU resources and the service is constantly 'Starting' and crashing out, then re-starting ...

What I'd like to know is - can I, or should I, just 'cut my losses' and dump the entire vSphere/vCenter install on that server and re-install it from scratch?

I can still get onto each physical host and manage the VM's on each - no issues there at all.

I was thinking that if I could I might take the opportunity to install a fresh 5.5 environment onto the server. Create a new DataCenter, add the two physical hosts, re-setup vMotion etc and then once the environment is all up and running again upgrade the two physical hosts to 5.5.

Does this sound like the best course of action without interrupting the currently running VM's that are all working OK and are in use?

Cheers for all replies Smiley Wink

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Daver19
Contributor
Contributor

Went ahead and spun up a new VM and installed the 5.5 environment on it, created a new datacenter and pointed my Hosts at it. As it connected each physical host it prompted me to accept that this would be the new controller for that host, bang done.

Haven't installed Update Manager yet - I was scared off a little by the check box at he start saying it would upgrade my hosts automagically to 5.5 once the Update Manager was installed. I didn't want to do that until I was sure the new vCenter environment was OK first.

0 Kudos