VMware Cloud Community
stevesysad
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter 5.1 - Single Sign On - Installation Failure using Oracle 11gR2 DB

Hey everyone,

I am trying to install a test case for vCenter 5.1U1 in a sandbox environment for an eventual production upgrade and having great difficulty getting SSO installed using Oracle 11gR2; RSA_USER and RSA_DBA were given the same permissions because when we started out the logs were indicating that the installer was trying to use RSA_USER to modify DB parameters. Every time we've gotten closer we take one step back and are quite familiar with the '29114: Can't Connect to DB' error from the installer. Of our most recent attempts it appears that the DropSchema script is running and doing well when it comes to a break and does not proceed further. I am quite novice when it comes to these vCenter 5.1 installers and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with standing up an Oracle DB for SSO and had actually gotten through the installation process without error. I've attached the vm-sso-javalib logs that seem to be recording all the jdbc database queries. Please let me know if any other logs would be helpful and I will try to add them. Thank you for your time.

SC

Sys Admin

0 Kudos
4 Replies
raog
Expert
Expert

I am suspecting some permission problem on your first install attempt and then once the proper permissions were given, the old DB is not getting cleaned up. So the subsequent installation attempts are failing.

Can you clean up the RSA DB manually and then try the installation?

Regards

Girish

To Virtualization and beyond! PS::If you felt the answer as helpful, please mark it as helpful/answered so that it helps other users as well! Blog:: www.virtualtipsntricks.com
0 Kudos
stevesysad
Contributor
Contributor

Girish,

Thank you for responding. In all our previous attempts we experienced the same behavior with the DB no matter if we deleted the users and tables and recreated them. We are taking a new approach to the SSO DB by separating the SSO VM and Oracle DB VM and creating its own DB instance and making sure the listener has the same name. I did not think this would be an issue since the JDBC URL was specified and it let us proceed to finish the SSO installation but the logs have indicated otherwise. I've attached a log to show what we we're seeing now and provide updates after the new variables have been put into place.

Thanks,

SC

0 Kudos
paradise313
Contributor
Contributor

Having the same issue and wondering if you have discovered a resolution. Thank you.

-SP

0 Kudos
Atul_gen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If your database and Tablespaces (RSA_INDEX and RSA_DATA) have been already used then you can not reuse it at again for SSO.You need to create fresh tablespaces (RSA_INDEX and RSA_DATA) then try it out.It may help you.

Thanks,

Atul

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos