VMware Cloud Community
MikeF007
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vCSA modules won't load

I am working in a lab environment where I have vCSA running as a VM in VMware Workstation (along with other VMS like ESXi, a domain controller, storage server). My network topology is attached. Everything was working fine. I used VM Settings in VMware Workstation to defragment and then compact each of the hard drives within vCSA (probably should not do that - it doesn't really help with performance much anyway - see screenshot). When I powered my topology back up, vCSA would not load properly. I can boot vCSA along with all the other VMs in my topology. But I cannot use the vSphere Host Client or vSphere Client to connect to vCSA. The networking is alright - pings between the devices work both directions on the management network (172.16.1.0/24). 

VAMI says 503 - Service Not Available
vSphere Client says Site cannot be reached (but we can ping back and forth)

I can access DCUI CLI and run some commands to discover which services failed to load. A screenshot is attached. I've tried to start the services manually with service-control --start --all to no avail.

It's frustrating that VMware's own product (Defragment & Compact) would break VMware's own product (vCSA)! 

Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Kinnison
Commander
Commander

Hi,

Actually, deploying a vCenter object as a virtual machine in VMware Workstation/Fusion is not officially supported, whether it works is another matter but if, doing "certain things" you run into problems then, very personal opinion, you can't complain. And then, what would be the build of the VCSA object, the most recent versions, i.e. those currently officially supported, in terms of "hardware" have very specific requirements which should be complied with.

Regards,
Ferdinando

0 Kudos
MikeF007
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for your thoughts, Ferdinando. I know this lab setup is not officially supported. But how else can students and VMware users learn and test VMware products? Maybe it should be supported. Defragmenting and compacting any VM should not ruin the VM - whether vCSA or another VM.

I didn't mention in my earlier post that I had a complete lab setup that was working perfectly before I went on vacation. I powered off the lab while gone for a week. When I powered the lab up after returning from vacation, most of my configurations were just gone. Again, I know the environment is not officially supported, but why would powering off and then powering a lab back on create such major issues?

These are defects in the software. Hiding behind it's not officially supported seems like a very weak argument. This is all about virtualization, and the virtualization is not working properly. How about solutions?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

>>> ... most of my configurations were just gone.

Can you provide details? What was gone?

André

0 Kudos
Kinnison
Commander
Commander

Hi,

Don't be offended, but you're not saying anything useful, start for example by saying which version of the vCenter object you deployed and maybe if in addition to building your "homelab" you have taken care of keeping backup copies of it. Since you mentioned it I searched your previous post, you mean you deployed a VCSA version 8 object limiting the amount of RAM memory to just under 8 Gigabytes when the product documentation specifies 14 Gigabytes at a minimum?

If these are the assumptions, I could be wrong but I have the impression of talking about nothing.

Regards,
Ferdinando

0 Kudos