VMware Cloud Community
Didi7
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vCSA 7.0.3.00300 (VM disk size extension broken)

Yesterday I upgraded our central vCenter to 7.0.3.00300 to patch Log4j vulnerability exploitation.

Unfortunately, I am still unable to extend disk sizes of VMs, no matter what VM I choose and no matter what type of disk (thin or thick) and not matter what type of ESXi version (7.x or 6.x).

As soon as I click 'Edit settings' on any VM of a cluster and try to change the value of the disk size, input is blocked. Selecting a disk results in an empty overview (no disk information available) and a disk size of 0GB.

vCenter is still out of order regarding this feature and disks must be extended through the ESXi host client instead, which fortunately still currently works.

Will this ever get fixed once?

👎

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
RPN
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello,

same problem today. VCSA updated from 7.0.2 to 7.0.3c (7.0.3.00300).

After that, no vDisk properties were visible or editable. lsdoctor found errors and corrected them. After that everything was o.k.

python lsdoctor -l (or --lscheck)

python lsdoctor -t (or --trusfix)

Ralf

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Didi7
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Indeed the proposed (from VMware support) and therefore official fix for SSL thumbnail mismatches, which are reponsible for not being able to extend VMDKs within vCenter, is fixed with lsdoctor tool.

Simply download the tool, upload it to your vCSA.

Use 'python lsdoctor.py -l' to diagnose your environment.

To fix any SSL thumbnail mismatches use 'python lsdoctor.py -t'

In my case, there were 31 SSL thumbnail mismatches to fix.

Warning! vCenter must be restarted or at least some services. Afterwards disk size extension is possible again.

Regards,

Didi7

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Users in the communities reported that they were able to solve this issue using lsdoctor (see https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/80469) with the --trustfix option. However, I never did this myself, and cannot tell you if it will work for you, nor whether it will have side effects.

Best bet would be to open a support case.

André

0 Kudos
Didi7
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Should there be anybody else, then please reply to this thread. As far as I know, this bug doesn't affect only our environment, right?

I have opened a case with VMware as well but to put more stress on it, I would appreciate replies to this topic.

A simple +1 reply would be sufficient. Thanks.

Thanks

0 Kudos
JJacksonUSXpres
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have been encountering the issue where I cannot expand a disk beyond 2 TB. To work around the issue I logon to the ESXi host running the VM and increase the disk space from the ESXi host. 
This behavior is odd since I can migrate VMs with large disk (over 2 TB) but I cannot expand or add disk over 2 TB unless I do it from the ESXi host http interface.  

0 Kudos
pwolf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have no problems with disk size changes, but serious problems expanding datastores. These do neither work in vCenter nor in the ESXi host webclient - only via the ESXi shell.
0 Kudos
CoLagrange
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Any luck with this?  I have the exact same problem and now I can't stand up new VMs.  I've opened a ticket with support but it's been 8 hours and no response.  I've run the fixsts.sh and lsdoctor.py with no luck.

0 Kudos
pwolf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

No luck besides using the complicated ESXi-shell approach for datastores. Expanding virtual disks I had no problem till now, but the last disk expansion over 2 TB I did with the 7.0 plain vanilla version. Nevertheless that is also quite easily accomplished with "vmkfstools -X" from the shell.
0 Kudos
RPN
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello,

same problem today. VCSA updated from 7.0.2 to 7.0.3c (7.0.3.00300).

After that, no vDisk properties were visible or editable. lsdoctor found errors and corrected them. After that everything was o.k.

python lsdoctor -l (or --lscheck)

python lsdoctor -t (or --trusfix)

Ralf

0 Kudos
Didi7
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Indeed the proposed (from VMware support) and therefore official fix for SSL thumbnail mismatches, which are reponsible for not being able to extend VMDKs within vCenter, is fixed with lsdoctor tool.

Simply download the tool, upload it to your vCSA.

Use 'python lsdoctor.py -l' to diagnose your environment.

To fix any SSL thumbnail mismatches use 'python lsdoctor.py -t'

In my case, there were 31 SSL thumbnail mismatches to fix.

Warning! vCenter must be restarted or at least some services. Afterwards disk size extension is possible again.

Regards,

Didi7

0 Kudos