VMware Cloud Community
SRT65
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vCLS datastore

Hi,

After upgrading VCSA from 7.0.0 to 7.0.2 I have noted that the update has created 3 new "vCLS" VM's which I understand is normal for 7.0U1+ but these were automatically created on a "semi-production" NFS datastore which is taken offline or rebooted somewhat regularly.

Is it possible for these vCLS VM's to be told to use a specific "production" datastore, all hosts also have a direct attached datastore and a "production" iSCSI datastore.

As we are not supposed to touch these vCLS's I can foresee that having the NFS server rebooted is going to cause a problem. Can I just vMotion them to a more suitable datastore or will that break them?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hey @SRT65,

That datastore was probably selected based on the vSphere algorithm for checking the volume with more free space available and more paths to different hosts.

The solution for that is easy, just use Storage vMotion to migrate the vCLS VMs to the desired datastore. And here you will see the document for your future reference: https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/7.0/com.vmware.vsphere.resmgmt.doc/GUID-96BD6016-4BE7-4B1C...

Check on the "Datastore selection" section.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hey @SRT65,

That datastore was probably selected based on the vSphere algorithm for checking the volume with more free space available and more paths to different hosts.

The solution for that is easy, just use Storage vMotion to migrate the vCLS VMs to the desired datastore. And here you will see the document for your future reference: https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/7.0/com.vmware.vsphere.resmgmt.doc/GUID-96BD6016-4BE7-4B1C...

Check on the "Datastore selection" section.

0 Kudos
SRT65
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

@Lalegre 

Cheers mate just vMotioned and appears to be all good. Hunted for documentation but never came across that page so thanks for the link helped clarify a few things.

0 Kudos