VMware Cloud Community
baber
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

use dvs without shared storage

Dear all

Hi

i don't have any shared storage and i have 3 esxi host and all of my data is on each esxi local disks and add all of them to a vCenter now want to know in this mode can i use DVS or for use DVS had to shared storage and all of vms had to put on shared storage ??

BR

Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue.
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Use of a virtual distributed switch (vDS) has absolutely nothing to do with storage of any protocol or connectivity technology. They are two entirely separate functions with no interdependencies. The choice whether to use vDS or not comes down to license type and how you want to manage your environment. Some networking features are only available with vDS and not with a vSS, so if you find yourself needing those features, then this also influences your decision.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
hussainbte
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Shared storage is a mandatory requirement for DVS..

unfortunately you cannot use it if you dont have shared storage.. the shared storage is used to keep the dvsdata folder which contains the vm port information

If you found my answers useful please consider marking them as Correct OR Helpful Regards, Hussain https://virtualcubes.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
alomariasim
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello,

Are you referring to Distributed Switch ?

if yes Distributed switch has nothing to do with shared storage.

please find below VMware documents.

vSphere Distributed Switch Architecture

0 Kudos
baber
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

could not understand now use shared storage is mandatory for run DVS or is not mandatory?

BR

Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue.
0 Kudos
alomariasim
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No its not, i tested it on my Lab without shared storage and all worked fine since the switch configuration and port groups will be on VCenter and kernel level.

daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Use of a virtual distributed switch (vDS) has absolutely nothing to do with storage of any protocol or connectivity technology. They are two entirely separate functions with no interdependencies. The choice whether to use vDS or not comes down to license type and how you want to manage your environment. Some networking features are only available with vDS and not with a vSS, so if you find yourself needing those features, then this also influences your decision.