VMware Cloud Community
johnxgr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

upload iso datasore slow

hello!,

well i am connected with 1 pnic in the hp pswitch.in the pswitch there is also a windows 2008 server where i have ISOs.

i am connected with vi client to esx and i am trying to transfer iso from this wndows 2008 sv r2 physical machie to a datastore which is a lun in a hus 110 through an fc switch.

but the transfer is tragically so slow! should i  add in the vswitch and the other pnics and connect all to the switch?

is there a difference?

thanks!

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Sreejesh_D
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

winscp will consume time for encryption. fastscp wont do encryption hence it will be faster.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
iw123
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

You could try and upload to the datastore using fastscp rather than the vi client to see if you get better performance.  http://www.veeam.com/vmware-esxi-fastscp.html

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers
Sreejesh_D
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I'm confused. can you plase explain it?

From where to where the copying happening? From a physical windows server to a VM in ESXi through vSphere client? pls explain.

0 Kudos
johnxgr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

well i have installed vsphere client in a physical server with windows server 2008 r2.and it is connected in a hp switch and my esx also at this switch!i have a partition at this physical server with isos.

so thats why through browse datastore i can upload isos to a datastore.

so through v client its normal that its  so slow?

i am connected through fc brocade switch with hitachi hus 110 where i have 2 luns !

0 Kudos
Sreejesh_D
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

yes its expected, copying data to VMFS is slow.

You can try FastSCP, it gave me better performance.

http://www.veeam.com/vmware-esxi-fastscp.html

johnxgr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

i have uploaded with winscp the iso and it was so slow.!!

i will try fastscp!

0 Kudos
Sreejesh_D
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

winscp will consume time for encryption. fastscp wont do encryption hence it will be faster.

0 Kudos
johnxgr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

with fast scp is 220kb/s!

is this ok?

if i connect all esx pnics will be faster or that is not right?

0 Kudos