VMware Cloud Community
arturS3
Contributor
Contributor

upgrade from vCenter 6.5 to 6.7u2 on Windows (PostgreSQL)

Hi.
I'm trying to upgrade my vCenter (6.5 to 6.7u2), but I'm getting an error at preinstallation check:
2019-08-13 13_18_51-vcenter ‎- Pulpit zdalny.jpg

I looked trough mentioned KB article: VMware Knowledge Base but it refers to upgrading from vCenter Server 5.5 to 6.0/6.5

I found an error in vcdb_req.err file:

1 [P0001](7) ERROR: ERROR ! Missing indexes: VPX_TABLE.PK_VPX_TABLE; Missing constraints: VPX_TABLE.PK_VPX_TABLE;;

Error while executing the query

What to do? What is your suggestion? should I follow KB2149901?

7 Replies
MartinGustafsso
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

It would appear there are issues with missing indexes in the database. I urge you to contact VMware Support so they can help you recreate the indexes.

arturS3
Contributor
Contributor

unfortunately I have vCenter essentials - I'm probably not able to create a support ticket (I don't have an option to create a ticket on vmware website - license was purchased by my predecessor) Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
MartinGustafsso
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I'm pretty certain that you can use VMware Knowledge Base https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2149901

Make sure that you have a backup before you begin.

a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

As an alternative to fixing issues with the current database, would it be an option to simply drop the current vCenter Server and deploy a new one? Since it's an Essentials Edition, I assume that the environment isn't too large, and the vCenter Server settings can be reconfigured quite quickly.

You may also consider to move to the vCenter Server Appliance at this point. vCenter Server for Windows will not be available anymore in future versions.

André

arturS3
Contributor
Contributor

The 6.7u2 is last for windows?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Not specifically v6.7U2 (VMware may release an U3 version, who knows?), but more generally v6.7 is the last Window based version.

see e.g. Farewell, vCenter Server for Windows - VMware vSphere Blog

André

arturS3
Contributor
Contributor

unortunately after executing: ALTER TABLE VPX_TABLE ADD CONSTRAINT PK_VPX_TABLE PRIMARY KEY (TABLE_NAME, COL_NAME);
I'm getting an error:
2019-08-14 16_04_12-vcenter ‎- Pulpit zdalny.jpg
table vpx_version contains only one row.
I'm not experienced with Postgres, I need to figure out something else.

0 Kudos