VMware Cloud Community
nblr06
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

update two vCenters that are in enhanced linked mode?

Does anyone know whether there are prerequisites when updating vCenters that are connected via enhanced linked mode?

I got two vCenter server 6.7U1 planning to upgrade to 6.7U3 and the enhanced linked mode is enabled for them.

Not quite sure about whether there's requirement to perform update or not, or maybe the deployment type of vCenter's PSC also influence???

Labels (1)
  • D

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Ank_S
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello @nblr06 ,

VMware always recommends keeping your vSphere environment (vCenter and ESXI) up-to-date with the latest patches.

For the vCenter upgrade :

1) Make sure to take a Powered-Off snapshots of both the vCenters (Including External PSCs if any). This will be helpful in case there is an error during the upgrade and you need to revert back.

2) If vCenters are with External PSCs , patch the PSCs first and then the vCenter.

PS: Mark kudos or correct answer as appropriate

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Ank_S
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello @nblr06 ,

VMware always recommends keeping your vSphere environment (vCenter and ESXI) up-to-date with the latest patches.

For the vCenter upgrade :

1) Make sure to take a Powered-Off snapshots of both the vCenters (Including External PSCs if any). This will be helpful in case there is an error during the upgrade and you need to revert back.

2) If vCenters are with External PSCs , patch the PSCs first and then the vCenter.

PS: Mark kudos or correct answer as appropriate

0 Kudos
nblr06
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

@Ank_S 

I saw this doc: https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/6.7/com.vmware.vcenter.upgrade.doc/GUID-37BB88CC-7A44-4EC9...  and discovered that the upgrade of vCenter with external PSC shall be done via the ISO installer's GUI.

So, for the case just like mine(6.7u1 to 6.7u3), if I got external PSC then using the ISO installer to update PSC first(and then vCenter) is required?

Do vCenter and external PSC use the same ISO patch file for update? hope i only need to prepare one ISO...

0 Kudos
Ajay1988
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Just one ISO for PSC and VCSA. Patch PSC's first and then the VCSA always  when in linked mode

If you think your queries have been answered
Mark this response as "Correct" or "Helpful".

Regards,
AJ