VMware Cloud Community
jprovine7
Expert
Expert

update manager how too

In version 6.5 update manager I do a scan of my esxi host servers for patches and this is all I see

pastedImage_0.png

In the old version 5.5 if you scanned it it would show if it were compliant or not and then the last time you scanned it . Is there more that you have to do to check for updates that i am missing?

17 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

You haven't attached a baseline against which to compare the scan results. That's why it's blank.

0 Kudos
jprovine7
Expert
Expert

Okay that is what I thought but I had opened a ticket with support and they said that wasn't the issue, they said I need to restart the update manager services and I found this too

Viewing Scan Results and Compliance States for vSphere Objects

So I have some baselines from when I install 6.5 are those the right baseline to attach or does it need to be something else, is there a step guide on how to choose the right baseline to attach

0 Kudos
jprovine7
Expert
Expert

These are the baselines I currently have, do I just add the patch baselines that are predefined?

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
RickVerstegen
Expert
Expert

Here is some more information regarding baselines:

Working with Baselines and Baseline Groups

You don't have to use the predefined ones. You can also make your own baselines an use these.

Was I helpful? Give a kudo for appreciation!
Blog: https://rickverstegen84.wordpress.com/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/verstegenrick
0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Although, yes, you can create your own, if you need basic patching with the public repo patches then add the predefined ones. These are dynamic baselines in that as soon as new patches are detected, they are "added" to the baseline.

jprovine7
Expert
Expert

Yes in the screenshot I did those were ESXi host baselines I created, I guess I should really say that I am looking for the best method to keep the patches up today on my esxi host server and vCenter

0 Kudos
jprovine7
Expert
Expert

So I would say that the predefined patch baselines are the best way for me to go

0 Kudos
jprovine7
Expert
Expert

I just want to make sure but this looks like it is setup to automatically download the latest updates, upgrades and patches which I assume will be added to the  predefined patch baseline

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
RickVerstegen
Expert
Expert

Yes, The system managed baselines automatically update their content periodically, which requires Update Manager to have constant access to the Internet.

Was I helpful? Give a kudo for appreciation!
Blog: https://rickverstegen84.wordpress.com/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/verstegenrick
jprovine7
Expert
Expert

I found a great step by step video or patching esxi hosts

How to Patch ESXi Step by Step - YouTube

0 Kudos
jprovine7
Expert
Expert

Is there any benefit to scanning an esxi server host machine without attaching a patch or upgrade baseline to compare it too?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

None I can think of.

0 Kudos
jprovine7
Expert
Expert

That were my thoughts as well but support blew it and told me I did not need a baseline to scan, which i guess I don't but it seems to serve no purpose to scan without one

0 Kudos
jprovine7
Expert
Expert

This was supports answer to scanning without a baseline, is this accurate?

> Scan without a baseline :

Would check the availability of all the patches/updates that are present in the entire patch repository of update manager , however will not show/detect any compliance  .

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

If it's coming from GSS then probably, but, again, why is this valuable? If you don't have a baseline you don't have a point of reference. If you don't have a point of reference there's nothing to show as far as remediation is concerned.

0 Kudos
jprovine7
Expert
Expert

Is GSS - global support?  "check the availability of all the patches/updates that are present in the entire patch repository of update manager" This makes it sound like it is using the repository as a baseline

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

If there's nothing attached there is no baseline. Yes, GSS = Global Support Services.

0 Kudos