VMware Cloud Community
mj_02003
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

unknown folder in my windows7

Dears

Hi

I faced below unknown folders in my virtual client with windows 7 do you have any idea?

21.jpg

Br

thanks.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

In past experience even going back to physical Windows XP machines, these folders tend to be leftovers from software installation/updates. Microsoft software seems to a major culprit (maybe because I tend to install only from Microsoft); so these could either be leftover by .NET Framework installation/updates or Office software updates.

For Microsoft software, when you drill down inside the folder, usually you will see the setup.exe or msi or msp, msu and other files related to installation. Usually there are subfolders with four-digit numeric names. You would see 1033 or 0409 as this is the locale ID for US English. Whether there are different language locales, it may vary according to the software. Within these 4-digit numeric subfolders usually is a localised EULA rich-text-format file.

It is possible since the folder icon has a lock in the screenshot you provided, it might be the case it failed to delete it after the installation was complete or reboot as it may not have had the necessary rights anymore to access the folder (for example, installation was initiated with Administrator but upon reboot and login the user does not have the necessary rights).

Generally, these folders with randomised names are safe to delete. You could try to associate the date/times of the randomised folders with the Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs Installed dates if you want to play it safe.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Can you provide me full path of those folders

0 Kudos
mj_02003
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

inside the root of the D:/ or C:/ drive.

0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

In past experience even going back to physical Windows XP machines, these folders tend to be leftovers from software installation/updates. Microsoft software seems to a major culprit (maybe because I tend to install only from Microsoft); so these could either be leftover by .NET Framework installation/updates or Office software updates.

For Microsoft software, when you drill down inside the folder, usually you will see the setup.exe or msi or msp, msu and other files related to installation. Usually there are subfolders with four-digit numeric names. You would see 1033 or 0409 as this is the locale ID for US English. Whether there are different language locales, it may vary according to the software. Within these 4-digit numeric subfolders usually is a localised EULA rich-text-format file.

It is possible since the folder icon has a lock in the screenshot you provided, it might be the case it failed to delete it after the installation was complete or reboot as it may not have had the necessary rights anymore to access the folder (for example, installation was initiated with Administrator but upon reboot and login the user does not have the necessary rights).

Generally, these folders with randomised names are safe to delete. You could try to associate the date/times of the randomised folders with the Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs Installed dates if you want to play it safe.

mj_02003
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks dear.

0 Kudos