VMware Cloud Community
jhen
Contributor
Contributor

unable to register WebClient plugin as vCenter extension by xml file placement

Hi,

i'm trying to install a WebClient plugin by means of registering it as an extension at a vCenter server,
using an Extension data object in an XML file that gets placed on vCenter Server.
This way is mentioned in the WebClient SDK Tutorial chapter 3 paragraph 'Registering your plugin package as a vCenter Server extension'
as well as in WebClient SDK Programming Guide chapter 'Deploying a Plug-in Package' paragraph 'Registering a Plug-In Package as a vCenter Server Extension' and following paragraphs.
In both cases no specific information is added about where to place the xml file, naming convention and so on...

I found files named extension.xml in subdirectories of C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\VirtualCenter Server\extensions .
So i created a directory there, named it like the value of the key property in my xml file and placed the file there as extension.xml .
For the xml file contents i took the example for the helloworld sample from the WebClient SDK Programming Guide and adjusted the
url for place and use of http. In the webclients.properties file i added 'allowHttp=true' and restarted the WebClient server.

But after login at the WebClient the plugin was not transmitted to the WebClient Server and i could not find
any hints in the logs of vCenter Server and WebClient Server.

When i registered the extension with same properties as in the xml file using MOB then the plugin was transmitted to WebClient Server.

What was wrong ? Wrong place, wrong file name, wrong file syntax ? Is it not sufficient to just place the
file at the right place ?

Can anybody give advise ?

Thanks in advance and

Best Regards,

Juergen

0 Kudos
0 Replies