VMware Cloud Community
Jim2012
Contributor
Contributor

unable to migrate vmdk hard drive and set to thick eager zero

Evening all,

Wondering whether the community can help me resolve a problem which i am facing woth one of my servers. I am unable to migrate one of the vmdk hard drives to another datastore and set it to Thick Eager Zero. I go through the process of a migration and select the advance options and change the provision state from "same as source" to "Thick Eager Zero". Migration starts and finishes, but when looking back through the settings of the virtual machine, the drive is still showing up as Thin Provisioned.

Any anyone got any ideas of how I can resolve this issue please.

Regards

0 Kudos
4 Replies
KSethi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello Jim,

If i understand this correctly than your disk is in thick eager zeroed and when migrating you are choosing same format as source (Thick eager zero) but once the migration is completed the status is showing as thin not thick is that correct?

Rgds

Kanishk

0 Kudos
Jim2012
Contributor
Contributor

Morning KSethi,

Sorry, think I might not have explained myself correctly. Disk in its current state is thin provisioned. When I try and migrate it to another datastore and change the provision to Thick Eager Zero, once the migration has completed the disk does not show as thick eager zero, it still shows as thin provisioned.

So far I have tested this on two servers, one server fails to convert one of the drives, and the over server fails to convert any (5 drives in total) of the drives.

My current version of VMware vCenter Server is 5.5.0 build 1945274

My current version of vSphere Client is 5.5.0 build 1945291

0 Kudos
KSethi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey Jim,

Kindly check post migration are you getting the option of inflate by right clicking the vmdk file in your datastore.

If yes than it is still not converted to thick eager but if you are not getting the option it means the disk is currently in thick eager only but not showing when checking the same.

This step will make sure whether the conversion has happened or not.

Rgds

Kanishk

0 Kudos
Jim2012
Contributor
Contributor

Inflate is still an option on the vmdk file.....

0 Kudos