VMware Cloud Community
jprovine7
Expert
Expert

unable to create a snapshot

Anyone know what might be causing this?

An error occurred while quiescing the virtual machine. See the virtual machine's event log for details

6 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

It usually means VMware tools failed when communicating with VSS because you had the "quiesce" checkbox checked. Logs inside the guest would tell why. Many different causes for this.

0 Kudos
jprovine7
Expert
Expert

I do not know where that check box is located

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

If you were able to create snapshots in the past using the same settings that fail now - then I recommend to check the VSS-config inside the guestOS
See VMware Knowledge Base

jprovine7
Expert
Expert

Does that kb article apply to vCenter 6.5 too I saw a 6.0x but not sure that applies to 6.5. The quiescing error does not occur all the time and I know it will be a better backup if we can turn that feature on. So does anyone have any other suggestions?

0 Kudos
GayathriS
Expert
Expert

Hi

I have come across this issue and below where few of the suituation :

--> when the of  respective virtual machine is high and the quiescing operation is unable to push all the data to disk, while further I/O is created.

-->If you try to create a quiesced snapshot on a virtual machine that does not have free space. That is, if the free space on the virtual machine is Zero or Nill .

Try to check if reboot does change anything for you .

Please consider marking this answer as "correct" or "helpful" if you think your questions have been answered.

regards

Gaytahri

0 Kudos