VMware Cloud Community
ivanmantilla
Contributor
Contributor

the transaction log for the database "VIM_VCDB" is full

Hi,

We are wroking we vSphere 5.0 last update and it is a small environment with 4 hosts, 2 hosts as the main infraestructure and the others for replication with Veeam B&R, so we have 30 VMs with their replicas been managed by the vCenter Server.

After some time we detect the service of the vCenter Server stopped every time in a while for no reason and reconnecting after 10 or 15 minutes sometimes it didnt reconnect. We found out on the logs of the SQL Server Express 2008 R2 that is a problem of the transaction log that is full... we get the error on the attached file.

So we try to shrink the file once a week but I feel it is something that should not happen, why could this happen?? and what should i do to fix it??

The recovery model for the database is set to Simple, to make sure it is not going to grow that much and it can reuse the space...

I hope you can help me soon... Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
memaad
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

You can refer this KB for troulshooting

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100398...

Also I woud like to know how many host and VM are in this vCenter server.

Also  is there is any monitoring tool  which talks to vCenter server or ESXi host.

From when you started seeing this issue.

Regards

Mohammed

Mohammed | Mark it as helpful or correct if my suggestion is useful.
0 Kudos
ivanmantilla
Contributor
Contributor

I do have the SQL recovery mode of the database set to Simple and everytime the service of the vCenter Stopped I have to shrink the log file to make it work, it happens every week.

Well, we do have 4 hosts and 58 VM and we started seen this issue making backup with Veeam B&R like a month ago, sometimes the jobs failed getting the error:

The machine (vCenter Server) refuse the communication...

0 Kudos
memaad
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

SQL Express support 5 ESX host and 50 virtual machine. However you have 58 virtual machine. In  your initial post you have mention " 30 VMs with their replicas been managed by the vCenter Server" what does this mean ? Are this back of virtual machine taken using Veam ?

1. How frequently backup is schduled.

2. Do you see any frequent task in vCenter "Task/Event" , any messages that occurs frequently.

3. To ensure that the default Statistics Level is set to 1:

1. Using the vSphere Client, log into vCenter Server as an administrator.
  2. Navigate to Administrator > vCenter Server Settings > Statistics.
  3. Under Statistics Intervals, ensure the Statistics Level column is set to 1.
  4. To change the value, select the Interval Duration, click Edit and select Level 1 from the dropdown.

Regards

Mohammed

Mohammed | Mark it as helpful or correct if my suggestion is useful.
0 Kudos