VMware Cloud Community
BruceHB
Contributor
Contributor

static Link aggregation configuration

Hi,

I try to use static Link aggregation configuration for vSphere DVS portgroup to test the

Based on the knowledge link:

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1004048?CoveoV2.CoveoLightningApex.getInitializationData=1&ui-force-...

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/6.5/com.vmware.vsphere.networking.doc/GUID-523FDFBD-EAEC-4...

I set two active uplinks with IP hash balance and didn't set link port group on switch.

However, there is no significant impact on network connection. The VC connection is still good.

Technically,  I must configure lag on switch to complete the static link aggregation.

Could any guru help explain the risk  before I set lag on switch?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

I recommend not using any LAGs with vSphere if you are already entitled to use a vDS. vSphere has capabilities that allow you to simplify your network infrastructure and get the same plus more abilities without using LACP.

0 Kudos
BruceHB
Contributor
Contributor

Hi daphnissov,

Link aggregation can provide two active uplinks for network traffic and it is only for VDS. So I think we still can get the befit from LACP.

Now I want to use static LACP in configuration. 

The curious point is what's the real impact when set two active uplinks and ip hash balance without switch LAG configuration.

Best Regards,

Bruce

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

LACP is not the only way to utilize these uplinks. LBT on a vDS is able to do this more effectively as it looks at pNIC utilization in its algorithm, something which LACP does not do.

0 Kudos
BruceHB
Contributor
Contributor

I know LBT is an utilization way. Only unsatisfication is its 30 sec period.

So I still want to analysis static aggregation.

Current state is not a real link aggregation yet.

My question can be simplified as:

what's impact when you set two active uplinks with balance IP and without switch special configuration?

Best Regards,

Bruce

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

I know LBT is an utilization way. Only unsatisfication is its 30 sec period.

Did you know that in a LACP bond there is NO traffic evaluation going on? So why are you satisfied with something that is more apt at balancing traffic versus something that doesn't do it at all?

what's impact when you set two active uplinks with balance IP and without switch special configuration?

You cause an outage, that's what happens. Traffic will not flow properly.

Here's the bottom line:

If you want link failover and link aggregation, don't use LACP with vSphere. Use a vDS with a port group set to LBT mode and it will simplify your infrastructure.

0 Kudos