VMware Cloud Community
andvm
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

removing clusters from one vcenter and adding them on another

Hi,

Need to remove clusters (eventually all of them) from one vCenter to re-create them on another, below are the simplified steps I think I should follow:

Migrate all VM's from the hosts

Enter the Hosts in Maintenance mode

Remove the host from the vCenter inventory

Remove the cluster

-------------

Create the cluster on the new vCenter

Add the Hosts

A challenge I will eventually face is how to migrate the VM's from one vCenter to the other since they are not connected to each other. (Both 6.5U2 with Embedded PSC)

Is there any recommended procedure to follow?

What if the cluster has vSAN enabled, does the procedure differ?

Tags (1)
3 Replies
ThompsG
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi andvm,

If its simply a case of moving from one vCenter to another then you can disconnect the host (including the running VMs) and connect to the new vCenter. All the guest that are on the host will be registered when connecting the host up. [Assumption is that you are running Standard vSwitches]

Test and see Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
andvm
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

dvSwitches are in use (vSAN for instance creates one automatically upon it's setup)

Think another procedure is needed to migrate the clusters/hosts, otherwise when the hosts are registered to the new vCenter they won't have the same connectivity.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

You cannot move hosts with a vDS attachment and that will need to be reeled in to a vSS on each host. The addition of vSAN complicates things because of a change in vCenter. There's a KB you should read here to outline some of that.