VMware Cloud Community
ferexderta
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

reboot server

a virtual server restart is happening. microsoft says that this was caused by lsi.sas.sys, LSI_SAS driver . how to find LSI_SAS driver . what is this LSI_SAS driver ? Is the driver installed when I install vmtools?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jburen
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Personally I prefer the Paravirtual Controller. For this to work follow these steps:

1. Update VMware Tools on your VM.
  2. Add an extra small disk to your VM with the Paravirtual Controller.
  3. Reboot the VM so the new driver can be loaded. Make sure you see the extra disk in the guest OS.
  4. Shutdown the VM and change the controller of your original disk(s).
  5. Also remove the extra disk.
  6. Boot the VM.
Consider giving Kudos if you think my response helped you in any way.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
jburen
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

It's the driver for your virtual SCSI controller.

0 Kudos
ferexderta
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

how to reinstall it or update. Microsoft says old this is an old driver and the problem may be due to it says.  I use ESXi 6.5, Windows 2012 r2, VMware Tools: Running, version:10279 and also SCSI controller LSI Logic SAS. should I use VMware Paravirtual. should I install a driver on windows?

0 Kudos
jburen
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Personally I prefer the Paravirtual Controller. For this to work follow these steps:

1. Update VMware Tools on your VM.
  2. Add an extra small disk to your VM with the Paravirtual Controller.
  3. Reboot the VM so the new driver can be loaded. Make sure you see the extra disk in the guest OS.
  4. Shutdown the VM and change the controller of your original disk(s).
  5. Also remove the extra disk.
  6. Boot the VM.
0 Kudos
ferexderta
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I understand what you say, but I want to know what LSI Logic SAS means to update. update to Paravirtual Controller or reinstall vmtools on windows server?

0 Kudos
jburen
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Trying to update the VMware Tools in order to update the driver is probably the easiest thing to do. So update VMware Tools and try to update the driver inside the guest OS. But as stated before I would upgrade the controller to the paravirtual controller.

0 Kudos
ferexderta
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

When I install VMWare tools, the driver in OS ( windows ) is automatically updated. I don't need to install manual driver for windows. right?

0 Kudos
jburen
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I don't think you need to update the driver manually but you can always point the device to the driver in the VMware Tools folder.

0 Kudos