VMware Cloud Community
sadom
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

rdm delete

the server has rdm physical disk over it. I want to delete rdm disk and connect it to another virtual machine. when I want to delete rdm disk I saw delete files from datastore so I do not understand here. should I mark?  I want to connect it to another server without making any settings on the storage side. How to delete disk ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

A physical mode RDM consists of two .vmdk files, a header/descriptor file, and a pointer file, which points to the storage LUN.

Selecting "Delete from disk" for a physical mode RDM will delete the two .vmdk files, but will not modify the LUN itself. Once deleted, the LUN will be available again to be added to another VM as an RDM.

It's also possible to just remove the virtual disk from the VM without deleting it from the disk. Doing it this way will allow you to add the RDM to another VM by selecting "Add existing virtual disk", and selecting the virtual disk file. However, keep in mind that this way the .vmdk files will remain in their current location, and with their current names, which may be confusing later on.

Note that the above only applies to RDMs in physical mode! For RDMs in virtual mode, ensure that they do not have an active snapshot - i.e. no .vmdk names like <name>-00000x.vmdk - otherwise you will loose data.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

A physical mode RDM consists of two .vmdk files, a header/descriptor file, and a pointer file, which points to the storage LUN.

Selecting "Delete from disk" for a physical mode RDM will delete the two .vmdk files, but will not modify the LUN itself. Once deleted, the LUN will be available again to be added to another VM as an RDM.

It's also possible to just remove the virtual disk from the VM without deleting it from the disk. Doing it this way will allow you to add the RDM to another VM by selecting "Add existing virtual disk", and selecting the virtual disk file. However, keep in mind that this way the .vmdk files will remain in their current location, and with their current names, which may be confusing later on.

Note that the above only applies to RDMs in physical mode! For RDMs in virtual mode, ensure that they do not have an active snapshot - i.e. no .vmdk names like <name>-00000x.vmdk - otherwise you will loose data.

André

0 Kudos
sadom
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

these rdm disks will be used for ms 2017 sql always on cluster. I have seen that the physical mode should be selected from the documents . I guess it doesn't support virtual mode.  Our design is CAB, all of the disks will be introduced to virtual machines as Physical RDM (RDM). Do you think it has to be physical rdm mode

vcenter 6.5 u2 and esxi's 6.5

sql 2017 always on

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

In this case I'm pretty sure that it is connected as a physical mode RDM (you should be able to see this in the VM's settings).

André

0 Kudos