VMware Cloud Community
baber
Expert
Expert

raw disk an vmotion

Dear all

hi

i have 2 question :

1-if i create a vm with raw disk can i get snapshot and cmotion that?

2- if i create 2 vms and assign them a raw disk and use share that raw disk between them via add new scsi in this mode can vmotion or backup or get snapshot ?

Br

Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
rahulsharma0304
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello Baber,

Basically yes, you can Snapshot and vMotion VMs with RDMs like any other VMs and they will also be migrated to other hosts when you place a host into maintenance mode (provided DRS is enabled).

However, this may be different for e.g. virtual MSCS cluster VMs depending on the SCSI Bus Sharing configuration for the SCSI controller.

If you use vMotion to migrate virtual machines with RDMs, make sure to maintain consistent LUN IDs for RDMs across all participating ESXi hosts.

RDM considerations & limitations are listed here: vSphere 5.5 Documentation Center - RDM Considerations and Limitations

FYI, related links on RDM:

VMware KB: Microsoft Clustering on VMware vSphere: Guidelines for supported configurations

VMware KB: Difference between Physical compatibility RDMs and Virtual compatibility RDMs

VMware KB: Migrating virtual machines with Raw Device Mappings (RDMs)

VMware KB: Frequently Asked Questions on VMware vSphere 5.x for VMFS-5

VMware KB: Unable to use Snapshots or perform a backup on virtual machines configured with bus-shari...

vSphere 5.1 - VMDK versus RDM | VMware vSphere Blog - VMware Blogs

Use RDMs for Practical Reasons and Not Performance Reasons | VMETC.com

http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/performance_char_vmfs_rdm.pdf

Physical RDM to VMDK Migration Feature | VMware vSphere Blog - VMware Blogs

Migrating RDMs, and a question for RDM Users. | VMware vSphere Blog - VMware Blogs

Regard,

Rahul

Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you think your question have been answered correctly. Regards, Rahul Sharma
0 Kudos