VMware Cloud Community
Javel1n
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

"An error occured while starting invsvc" at vCenter 6

Okay, i lab vCenter with workstation. Everytime, it always show "An error occured while starting invsvc".

I try with this guide → http://www.vladan.fr/vsphere-6-0-vcenter-server-6-windows-2012-r2/

And no luck

Detail :

Win Server 2012 R2

SQL Server 2012 Express

-edit-

attaching error zip

0 Kudos
4 Replies
virtualg_uk
Leadership
Leadership

I recall this error from the release notes:

When you use a database server alias name to create a DSN, the installation of vCenter Server fails
When you use a database server alias name to create a DSN, the installation of vCenter Server with an external Microsoft SQL database fails. The following error appears during the installation of the inventory service: An error occured while starting invsvc.

Workaround: Use the IP address or the host name of the database server to create a DSN

The release notes are here if you need any more information:

VMware vSphere 6.0 Release Notes</title><meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content=&...

Graham | User Moderator | https://virtualg.uk
0 Kudos
vRickE
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If you are using an external database server check the port UDP 1434 is open on the database server.

Also before clicking ok on the error navigate to C:\programdata\vmware\vCenterServer\logs\invsvc\inv-svc.log

You might find more information about the error there if its not the port issue.

In my case we don't use the standard port on the SQL side and apparently it requires that UDP 1434 for the sql browser to work.

Regards

@rickespada
0 Kudos
BMay777
Contributor
Contributor

Greetings,

I just had to chase this issue down.  For my particular problem it came down to enabling TCP/IP connections for the SQL Server.  Open your 'SQL Configuration Manager' and find the item on the left pane that says "SQL Server Network Configuration".  Right-click the SQL database on the right pane and click 'open'.  Check to see if the 'TCP/IP' field is set to 'Enabled'.  My vCenter 6 installation failed multiple times until this was enabled.  Hope that helps.

-Brian

0 Kudos
BMay777
Contributor
Contributor

I've hit this error once again, but this time enabling TCP/IP for SQL did not solve the issue.  Disabling IPV6 on the host did though.  To accomplish this I followed these steps:

• Run 'regedit' to get to the registry
  • Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip6\Parameters\
  • Right-click in white space on the right pane and choose 'New' and then 'DWORD (32-bit) Value'
  • Type "DisabledComponents" (without quotes) into the 'Name' field
  • Right-click the new value and choose 'Modify'
  • In the 'Value data:' field enter "ffffffff" (8 f's without quotes) - Leave Hexadecimal selected
    • Your entry will show "0xffffffff (4294967295) in the 'Data' column now
  • Reboot

I am not sure if disabling IPV6 solves this issue for other OS's, but the particular system I'm installing on is Windows Server 2012 R2 with a local SQL Express 2012 SP2 installation.  TCP/IP was enabled for SQL. The System DSNs were all created and had all passed their testing.

-Brian

0 Kudos