VMware Cloud Community
niceguy001
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

prevent some VMs' migration while DRS enabled?

i have an infrastructure lab cluster running vsphere 6.5U1

but an issue confused me for quite a long time that is,

i need to use DRS for cluster but some specific VMs need to be lived on specific hosts,

i don't want these VMs to be moved by DRS.

is there any "exception rules" can be configured on DRS?

all i saw was "migration threshold" 1 to 5 which doesn't help;

"virtual machine automation" has been enabled but no help, can't find the VM overrides page;

the "additional options" or "advanced options" don't seem very helpful...

does anyone know?

thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
MattConnor
Contributor
Contributor

use DRS rules to keep certain vm's on specific hosts

0 Kudos
SureshKumarMuth
Commander
Commander

Have you tried this ?

VM-Host Affinity Rules

Regards,
Suresh
https://vconnectit.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
raghushetty
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey,

Go to cluster setting and configuration and vm-override add the Vm which should not be performed the DRS for the machine and make sure that automation level is disabled.

pastedImage_7.png

or

Vm- Host affinity rules :

You can create vm-host affinity rule to specify whether or not the members of a selected virtual machine DRS Group can rin on the members of specific host Drs Group

VM-Host affinity

rule to specify an affinity relationship between a group of virtual machines and a group of hosts. When using VM-Host affinity rules, you should be aware of when they could be most useful, how conflicts between rules are resolved, and the importance of caution when setting required affinity rules.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Finikiez
Champion
Champion

Hi!

Set checkbox 'Enable individual virtual machine automation levels'

Set a Custom Automation Level for a Virtual Machine

Then go to VM Overrides menu and set custom automation level for VM.

0 Kudos
niceguy001
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

okay,

so in the VM overrides page, set "disabled"on the vSphere DRS Automation Level is the easiest way to prevent one or some VMs from migrating to other hosts(by DRS)

right?

what if i set to "manual"? what kind of difference between "disabled" & "manual", are they doing the same task?

final question is, can i just select "VM/Host Rules" or "VM/Host Groups" or "VM Overrides" one of them to solve my issue(for not too many VMs)?

So much appreciates!Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
SureshKumarMuth
Commander
Commander

Here come a difference between manual and vm/host relationship, during host outage vm/host relationship is still maintained as per the condition whereas it is not followed in manual mode. So if you requirement is just not to migrate vm then you can go for easy step to set manual or else if your requirement is to stick to one particular host then vm/host would be the best option.

Also manual/disabled almost similar where it looks for manual integration from user on migration.

Regards,
Suresh
https://vconnectit.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
raghushetty
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey...

Manual: Placement and migration recommendations are displayed, but do not run until you manually apply the recommendation. (For example when VM getting more than 60 % utilization move to ABC host)

Partially Automated: Initial placement is performed automatically. Migration recommendations are displayed but do not run.

Disabled: Vcenter Server does not migrate the virtual machine or provide migration recommendations for it

VM/Host Rules: - Vm/Host rules are used like, for assume that Two VM host there is the application depended for each other to run the show (example any service,app or IIS,) in same host .so in that time we can create the Vm/Host bonding rule we can create and stating that to move gathered to next HOST

VM/Host Groups : Using this host DRS group, you can create a VM-Host affinity rule that establishes an affinity (or anti-affinity) relationship with an appropriate virtual machine DRS group

You can create VM-Host affinity rules to specify whether or not the members of a selected virtual machine DRS group can run on the members of a specific host DRS group.

Prerequisites

Create the virtual machine and host DRS groups to which the VM-Host affinity rule applies.

Procedure

1. Browse to the cluster in the vSphere Web Client navigator.
  2. Click the Configure tab.
  3. Under Configuration, click VM/Host Rules.
  4. Click Add.
  5. In the Create VM/Host Rule dialog box, type a name for the rule.
  6. From the Type drop-down menu, select Virtual Machines to Hosts.
  7. Select the virtual machine DRS group and the host DRS group to which the rule applies.
  8. Select a specification for the rule.
    • Must run on hosts in group. Virtual machines in VM Group 1 must run on hosts in Host Group A.
    • Should run on hosts in group. Virtual machines in VM Group 1 should, but are not required, to run on hosts in Host Group A.
    • Must not run on hosts in group. Virtual machines in VM Group 1 must never run on host in Host Group A.
    • Should not run on hosts in group. Virtual machines in VM Group 1 should not, but might, run on hosts in Host Group A.

Click OK.

for more INFORMATION PLS GO VMWARE BELOW DOCS link

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/6.5/com.vmware.vsphere.resmgmt.doc/GUID-2FB90EF5-7733-4095...

0 Kudos