VMware Cloud Community
golddiggie
Champion
Champion

post update to latest ESXi 8, cannot use FQDN in vCenter

A couple/few weeks ago I updated my home lab environment to the current/latest release of vSphere 8 (vCenter is on 8.0.0.10200, hosts are running build 21203435. I went from the release just before that (so very small change). But, with the host upgrades, vCenter could no longer communicate via the FQDN of the hosts. Nothing else changed (the AD DC still has the entries). I had to pull the hosts into inventory via the IP address with the fun that involves. Luckily I only had a few VMs running on these servers. 

Has anyone else run into this issue? Is there a fix for it? Or does it fall under a "known bug, sorry" category?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
connecttoduy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello

The issue may be relate 2 things

1. Check connection from vCenter to DNS server

2. If connection between vCenter & DNS server is OK, next step checking about DNS service on vCenter (can login to VCSA:5480), ssh to vCenter for check about configuration, cat /etc/hosts for config FQDN, cat /etc/resolv.conf for DNS IP server.

3. Final try reboot vCenter

Regards,

Duy

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
golddiggie
Champion
Champion

I was talking with someone else a this afternoon and he seems to think the DNS values entered in the setup is the source of the issue. I've attempted to remove the extra items from the vami page, but I cannot (won't let me confirm the account at the third step). I've also attempted to edit the resolv.conf file. When I clear that, then restart the service, it reverts to the old setting. Any idea as to HOW to get the changes to stick? There has to be a way to get this changed to either fix it or rule the entries as the issue source. 

I've rebooted the vCSA at least a handful of times at this point (since the issue presented) without that doing any good. I've done it today as well, after editing the resolv.conf file the first time. I've restarted the service the last couple of edit attempts too. No joy.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
golddiggie
Champion
Champion

Managed to fix it myself... None of the command line stuff worked. Was able to get the GUI to accept the change post updating to the latest version 8c.

0 Kudos
Alfista_PS
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

I have same issue.

I have installed fully new latest ESXi 8 and vCenter 8:

Version:                 8.0.1.00000

Build number:        21560480

and have the same issue. When I give FQDN in vCenter I can't connect. I need to remove it from Hostname and then it works over IP. When the FQDN is set I can't also connect over IP, while its automatically redirect ti FQDN or when I change the address manualy then I have Page not found even it will ask me before for accepting the certificate.

I had do many reinstallation if its my mistake by installation or configuration but its still the same problem. 

It looks that is a bug.

Alfista
----------------------
Audio-Video Accessories
Selling and Integration of Audio & Video Accessories and Technology
If my answer has resolved your problem please mark as RESOLVED or if it has only was a good help then give me the KUDOS. Thanks.
0 Kudos
RajeevVCP4
Expert
Expert

What is the VCSA build 

Rajeev Chauhan
VCIX-DCV6.5/VSAN/VXRAIL
Please mark help full or correct if my answer is use full for you
0 Kudos
Alfista_PS
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

the VCSA is:

Version:                 8.0.1.00000

Build number:        21560480

The latest, that was possible possible to download.

Alfista
----------------------
Audio-Video Accessories
Selling and Integration of Audio & Video Accessories and Technology
If my answer has resolved your problem please mark as RESOLVED or if it has only was a good help then give me the KUDOS. Thanks.
0 Kudos