VMware Cloud Community
billdossett
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

patch vcenter appliance with external PSC

I need to patch our vcenter appliance 6.7 update 3n to vcenter appliance 6.7 3p.

We have an external PSC vm.  Do I need to patch that as well?  It isn't really clear in the install instructions and usually I think you patch both, but just looking for someone to tell me yes or no.

I would love to upgrade/converge these to 7, but last time I tried that I had a bad experience and we are probably migrating everything off this to a new HCI solution in the next few months - so I am still working with 6.7 and two appliances.

Thank you

Bill Dossett
0 Kudos
6 Replies
nealda
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, update both and update the PSC first.

6.7U3q is out now and it includes the log4j fix.

jackhol95
Contributor
Contributor

Hi nealda

other question about patching: updating vcenter vm to the latest version through the appliance manager won't have an impact on the other running vm's in a esxi-cluster? you just have to manage them throught the esxi-hosts themself? is this right?

kind regards

nealda
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, that's right. A vCenter outage does not cause an outage of your ESXi hosts or VMs, but you will temporarily lose some management features such as HA and DRS.

Hopefully, you won't need to manage your cluster or VMs during the upgrade, but if you do, you can do it using the ESXi hosts as you describe.

Anil0210
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello Bill Dossett,

I can see you have already got your answer. 

Just adding few points from my side.

- Always upgrade external PSC first and then vCenter

- Upgrade all the nodes in federation to same version.

As mentioned better to go to latest release, 6.7.0 U3q which has security fixes.

~Anil

billdossett
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

thanks, yes, always PSC first!

Bill Dossett
0 Kudos
billdossett
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Yes, always PSC first.

Bill Dossett