VMware Cloud Community
fbouvart77
Contributor
Contributor

number of vCenter for 2 vSphere clusters

Hi all,

I am currently working on the evolution of our infrastructure

We have our prod that runs on a 6 hosts cluster.

We are going to change our old HyperV cluster by a vSphere one (6 hosts also)

I have one question concerning the management. We split the clusters for capacity reservation and to be sure non prod env won't impact prod but there is also a question of security

We use the vCenter appliance and I know we can manage both clusters in one vCenter
Our authentication is AD integrated and we have 2 ADs (one prod and one nonprod)

What are the best practice ? should we use 1 or 2 vCenter ?
I tried to look for info online but I found nothing relevant

Thanks in advance

Fabrice 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Nawals
Expert
Expert

1 vCenter standard license is enough to managed both cluster. However, if you have security compliance concern in your company then would suggest to 2 vCenter one for prod and another for non-prod. Refer VMware Blog for better understanding of vCenter license edition. https://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/2018/10/vcenter-server-licensing-options.html

NKS Please Mark Helpful/correct if my answer resolve your query.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander

you can use Once vCenter and configure both domains as identity sources.
then you can give permissions to the non-prod domain only to the non-prod cluster (and the same for the prod domain and prod cluster).
Please note, you should use separate vDS and separate storage arrays/vSAN clusters.

Also, please note the vCenter Appliance should be treated as prod. If you want complete segregation of duties on the VMs you should have separate vCenters, but that's up to you and management.

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

There is no right or wrong.  For a easier Living and saving some $$$ i suggest to use only one vCenter installation for your different DataCenter/Cluster.

If you use 2 vCenters you also can use the Enhanced Linked mode so that both vCenters a bind together and only one Browser windows is needed to see the complete environment.

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos