VMware Cloud Community
TryllZ
Expert
Expert

new sytand-alone vCenter Server DNS requirement ?

Hi,

I wanted to know, if I am setting up a host-only vCSA server then during configuration of vCSA what DNS do I need to add ? I have checked VM Workstation it does NOT have any DNS entry ?

I have tried it on NAT which has a DNS but the vCSA still cannot be accessed via the web UI, I found out this is a DNS issue by running via SSH command service-control --start vxpd. As obvious I can ping the device and access it via SSH.

I have read that it can be done using a Windows Server with AD DNS setup, as of now I have tried a server with DNS without AD, I'm testing one with AD as well, but here is my understanding, chrome of my laptop does not communicate with vCenter via the web UI, and I have opened the .ova file in VMWare Workstation, plus I have come to know there are 2 methods to install, either the installer (GUI or CLI) or installit on ESXi, my question is how to set up the vCenter Server from the .ova file. I have opened the file directly in workstation and doing it, am I following the correct method ? (I haven't read it anywhere if this is possible.

Thank you

5 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

If it's host-only you need to have a DNS server running as a VM on that host-only network and then use its IP during the vCSA deploy wizard as the DNS server. You must create forward and reverse DNS records before beginning the installation process.

0 Kudos
TryllZ
Expert
Expert

Thank you for the reply.

I'm doing it at the moment, my question is is it necessary to install vCenter Server, or I can open the .ova file in workstation and configure it, also do I have to install vSphere web client ?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

If you have Workstation latest, you can deploy the OVA and supply the parameters. The vSphere Web Client is built into vCenter Server. There is nothing separate to install.

TryllZ
Expert
Expert

I have tried the following so far.

I created forward and reverse lookup in AD DNS.

Then I add the parameters in vCSA as required, then I import the .ova file (the vCSA bgins by booting up without letting me change the network from Bridged to Host-only) then I add parameters, after which it begins configuring.

I tried 6.5 and it returned back with network configuration failed, it wouldn't save manually data either.

I tried 6.7 same DNS settings, the vCSA remains on a black screen with the cursor blinking for a long amount of time.

Thank You

0 Kudos
TryllZ
Expert
Expert

I have noticed that I keep getting refused to connect via the Web UI, and lately SSH is not working properly either, SSH once logged in says

[ERROR]: Failed to connect to service.

Unknown host localhost.

Any thoughts ?

0 Kudos