VMware Cloud Community
chandrubala
Contributor
Contributor

need support for memory allocations and Home Lab Setups Structures.

Hi,

I am looking to build a New VMware Lab.

I have Specs like below:-

1. i7 Extreme with 6 core processor and 32GB Rams and 2TB HDD and Dual LAN Gigabyte Port.

2.How we are going to allocate the Memory for each Esxi and Vcenter ?

Is There any formulas for partitioning Rams?

3.i want to became a expert in Vsphere data Center? So which is the way to make Practices?

Please kindly assist me for this one..

Thanks

Chandru B

0 Kudos
3 Replies
vembutech1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

First check your hardware listed in HCL VMware Compatibility Guide - System Search

There is no thump rule for memory and cpu allocation for VMs. Start with one vCPU & minimum memory supported by the OS.  It is purely based on concurrent vms running on a particular ESXi host.

You don't need to allocate memory for ESXi server. While adding all ESXi server under a vCenter server, your memory, cpu will be consolidated and will be available for vm creation. As said create vm with minimum resource, and when require add resources gradually. For storage also give thin provisioned storage to vms.

Understand the concepts like DRS,HA,vMotion,Storage vMotion , and configure those services. You may require shared storage, configure openfiler or FreeNAS or Windows 2016 server for iSCSI supported shared storage.

0 Kudos
chandrubala
Contributor
Contributor

Yep. Thanks.

I have one more questioned to ask you. see i want to make VM Labs without using VM workstations.

Give me Guid lines for this one.

Bcz I want to make much practices in DRS & HA

thanks

chandru@

0 Kudos
vembutech1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

For learning ESXi host with vCenter is the good start. No need to use VM workstations. Install ESXi 6.X on two servers. Download vCenter server appliance, which has 60 days full features. Deploy in any one of the ESXi server.

Download vsphere client ( or use web ui ), and add these two ESXi server under the vCenter server appliance. Configure iSCSI storage ( use FreeNAS ) on each ESXi host. Create five or more Linux VM with shared storage option. You could use linux template also for multiple VM instances, and configure HA, even you can initiate vMotion and storage vMotion manually. Create atleast two iSCSI datastore for storage vMotion. Let me know any hints required.

0 Kudos