VMware Cloud Community
ferexderta
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ms sql cluster

i have vcenter 6.5 and 8 esxi host. now i will instal windows 2012 on esxi A and i will install 2012 on esxi B so  we need to rdm disk for sharing disk. right ?

then rdm must be RDM physical mode or virtual mode . i saw lots of document but can you say from here . which mode is true ? which mode should I introduce the rdm disk to the virtual machine

thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
HassanAlKak88
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hello,

First of all i recommend to take a look at the following, it shows the different type of cluster possible:

pastedImage_0.png

And based on this decision, if it will be RDM right you have two types and technically the both worked properly there are some difference on performance/backup/snapshot/.... for that please refer to the following:

11 Differences between RDM Virtual and Physical Compatibility Mode 

Please consider marking this answer "CORRECT" or "Helpful" if you think your question have been answered correctly.

Cheers,

VCIX6-NV|VCP-NV|VCP-DC|

@KakHassan

linkedin.com/in/hassanalkak

If my reply was helpful, I kindly ask you to like it and mark it as a solution

Regards,
Hassan Alkak

View solution in original post

2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

With vSpehere 6.5 both modes are supported, but the recommendation for a cluster across boxes are physical mode RDMs.

see https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/6.5/vsphere-esxi-vcenter-server-651-setup-mscs.pdf (page 21)

André

0 Kudos
HassanAlKak88
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hello,

First of all i recommend to take a look at the following, it shows the different type of cluster possible:

pastedImage_0.png

And based on this decision, if it will be RDM right you have two types and technically the both worked properly there are some difference on performance/backup/snapshot/.... for that please refer to the following:

11 Differences between RDM Virtual and Physical Compatibility Mode 

Please consider marking this answer "CORRECT" or "Helpful" if you think your question have been answered correctly.

Cheers,

VCIX6-NV|VCP-NV|VCP-DC|

@KakHassan

linkedin.com/in/hassanalkak

If my reply was helpful, I kindly ask you to like it and mark it as a solution

Regards,
Hassan Alkak