I am using vcenter ( windows server ) 6.7.2 and ESXi servers are running on version 6.7.0. I have 2 clusters and 2 clusters are running under this center. It is installed on the existing vcenter windows server and the database runs on oracle in a separate virtual server. we bought new physical servers.
We will install vcenter latest version 7 and ESXi latest version 7 to the new infrastructure. and we want to migrate virtual machines to the new infrastructure.
also, old server and new server CPU families are different.
Can I use the cross to migrate virtual servers to the new infrastructure and what should I consider first? Can someone who has done this before share their experience? I found a tool called Cross vCenter Workload Migration Utility on the VMware flings page. Can I switch with this tool?
if both infrastructure have same Storage you can shutdown VM and remove it from repository and in new infrastructure register VM.
you can do this with some backup tools like Veeam backup too .
There are multiple ways to move VMs from one set up to another
1. You can use vcenter standalone converter and perform V2V migration, this tools was discontinued so you cannot find in vmware downloads page, However you can search in some third party websites to see if it is available to download.
2. You can add the old ESXi node to new vCenter server and do the VM migration within the vCenter.
3. You can export each VM as OVF and import the OVF in new setup.
4. If you have any storage box, create a lun and attach it to both old and new setup ESXi nodes, create a shared datastore. Move the VMs to this shared datastore and switch the VMs to new ESXi nodes then move it to desired storage.
5. You can also use the fling which you have mentioned but I would recommend to migrate a test VM and ensure it is working fine.
Some of these steps would need VM downtime.
Thanks a lot for your answers.
I am using vcenter 6.7, but when I try move virtual machines, vcenter cross option does not appear our system. I couldn't find why this option is not visible. Also, can I use vcenter croos export option on newly installed vcenter 7 infrastructure and migrate virtual machines to new infrastructure? the new infrastructure has not been established yet, maybe we can get vxrail. I'm looking for porting ways before and I want to do it with cross vmotion.
If you want cross vCenter migration, why not upgrade your vCenter(s) to 7.x ? 6.7 is going to be end of support soon, so you'll really not have many choices. Otherwise your options are listed by others above.