VMware Cloud Community
AdvNetSol
Contributor
Contributor

migrate virtual machine failure

The vMotion migrations failed because the ESX hosts were not able to connect over the vMotion network. Check the vMotion network settings and physical network configuration.

vMotion migration [184549182:1406087257767779] failed to create a connection with remote host <10.255.255.52>: The ESX hosts failed to connect over the VMotion network

Migration [184549182:1406087257767779] failed to connect to remote host <10.255.255.52> from host <10.255.255.62>: Timeout

The vMotion failed because the destination host did not receive data from the source host on the vMotion network. Please check your vMotion network settings and physical network configuration and ensure they are correct.

I Have three servers, each with two NICs assigned to vMotion capability.  I have verified they are all connected to a VLAN that will allow them to communicate, in fact, all 6 NICs are plugged into a brocade switch with all ports untagged.  The vswitch is set for vlan 0. 

when i added a system to the switch to try and see if the switch is causing communication problems i was able to ping other devices at addresses 10.255.255.50 and 60 that are performing iSCSI.

The vMotion Kernel Ports seems to be configured properly but at this point i'm second guessing myself on this.  All I can think is that there is a misconfiguration causing the vMotion group to not communicate properly.

Can anyone offer troubleshooting steps that will help me determine why i can't even ping the IPs of the vMotion groups?

thank you,

0 Kudos
3 Replies
warring
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is this a new setup or existing and new problem, I would start by turning HA off for the cluster then re-enable it.

VCP510-DCV
0 Kudos
AdvNetSol
Contributor
Contributor

it is existing and new problem.  no configuration changes have been made that i know of to cause this.

disabling and re-enabling HA doesn't seem to have helped unfortunately.  Thank you for the suggestion though.

0 Kudos
MagnetBoy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

You probably already checked this: Subnet Mask and the Gateway.  Double check your 3 hosts's IP Settings. plus port properties, MTU and NIC teaming

VMware Certified Professional – Datacenter Virtualization (vSphere 5)
0 Kudos