VMware Cloud Community
jhjkempen
Contributor
Contributor

migrate offline vms using vCenter after HDD replacement

esxi 4.1 server with hdd was replaced with ssd; al the vmwares on the esxi where running from our NAS.

I assumed that bwhen using vCenter:

- could take the server offline, install SSD, reinstall with esxi 4.1 and migrate all the vmware machines using vCenter.

Assumed this because vCenter can read out all the details of the esxi server even when it's offline and disconnected!!!

So after reinstall of esxi 4.1 added the Host to vCenter and wanted to migrate the old vmware machines to the "fresh" esxi 4.1 (which basicly is the same server, only HDD replaced with SSD).

Tried a migrate but this didn't work.

How can i migrate the server easily? (Offcource i can import the vmdk manually but that wasn't what i had in mind...)

Or can i easily import it on our new server. All the vmware are on a NFS share with a seperate folder for each vmware with all the needed files in it..

Replacing the HDD back doesn't  make sense as i would need to transfer the vmware to a second server...

0 Kudos
1 Reply
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

When you say migrate are you referring to vMotion? If so what error do you receive. After the reinstall of ESXi did you configure the host back to its original configuration including the vmotion network

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos