VMware Cloud Community
nblr06
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

mail alert about VM hard disk usage?

I have an datacenter of vCenter 7 and am currently trying to set mail alert to make vCenter send notification if some VMs' hard disks usage exceed specific percentage of total space.

However, when defining the "Alarm Definition", I chose Virtual Machines as the target type and only found that there's no options can show the percentage of VM disks' used capacity. Please refer to the figures below.

nblr06_0-1642989535067.png

nblr06_1-1642989672334.png

There's only "speed of data" (such as KBPS) or the units that don't match my demand can be chose.

the information in this one https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2144546 didn't help.

is it true that vcenter does not provide such function?

or maybe i should consider vRealize Operations ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Iam surprised that there is something like VM disk usage but even than i have my doubt that its from a GuestOS perspective. vSphere can only take a look into the GuestOS when VMware tools are installed and running. If not than vSphere have no chance.

1. vRealize Operations have a metric when it comes to GuestOS Disk usage
  2. VeeamOne will do it also
  3. Liams old vSphere Healthcheck
  4. RVTools
  5. a self written Powershell script

But again... only trough VMware Tools.

If you have NAGIOS,ICINGA, PRTG or what ever placed a Agent inside the OS or use a guest API or Service like SNMP will be a better? option.

Regards,
Joerg

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Iam surprised that there is something like VM disk usage but even than i have my doubt that its from a GuestOS perspective. vSphere can only take a look into the GuestOS when VMware tools are installed and running. If not than vSphere have no chance.

1. vRealize Operations have a metric when it comes to GuestOS Disk usage
  2. VeeamOne will do it also
  3. Liams old vSphere Healthcheck
  4. RVTools
  5. a self written Powershell script

But again... only trough VMware Tools.

If you have NAGIOS,ICINGA, PRTG or what ever placed a Agent inside the OS or use a guest API or Service like SNMP will be a better? option.

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos