VMware Cloud Community
pob579
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

login to vcenter question

Hi,

I setup quick vSphere  lab for a test that I cannot run on production cluster. The lab contains 2 hosts.

I installed vCenter 5.5 on Server 2008 VM. I did installation of all modules including SSO. Sure I don't care about SSO... Couple of days ago I logged in to vCenter. But today cannot.

Fortunately, I found that vCenter is open so I added another user (named it root) to local Administrators group on vCenter Windows machine and added this user to vCenter (see attach).

Also, to be safe I changed password of Administrator (in Windows). So I have my vCenter opened.

Now, I am trying to login second time to VCenter and login fail. Is it because of the second login? Logically, if vSphere doesn't like second login the message should be clear.But I have just failure.

Can I just close vCenter and login?

Now I have default Administrator user and root with passwords that I know for sure.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Try logging in with administrator@vsphere.local. Are you able to login with root? You can have more than one one login to vcenter with same user. There's no restriction as such.

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/

0 Kudos
pob579
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Now it is totally crazy... Smiley Happy

I cannot login with:

administrator@vsphere.local     using new (changed in Windows) password

and with

root@vsphere.local     or just root        

but I tried a previous password, initially created with which I logged into the opened on picture console and it works fine.

Looks like Windows password is not related to vCenter login.

But it Windows OS... is there a way to assign a password in vCenter.

And how to add new user to vCenter? In my case added user "root" is a member of Local Admins in Server 2008.

Thanks for helping.

0 Kudos
pob579
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

the link below just confirms that Windows password has nothing to do with vCenter pass and shows what to do...

http://blogs.sungeek.net/unixwiz/2011/05/25/changing-passwords-lets-make-it-as-difficult-as-we-can/

0 Kudos
Elmalhi
Contributor
Contributor

Can you login from the vCenter client to the host as a root? Did you change the local administrator's password or the domain admin password?

0 Kudos
pob579
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No problem with connection to the hosts as root. I am talking about local admin password on vCenter VM (Server 2008).

Would like to arrange SSO. 2 hosts and vCenter machine are in AD DNS and fully resolvable.

SSO installed on vCenter. Should be simple. Just have to read. But now it is not a first priority.

What I found that there is no connection between local admin password and vCenter Administrator password.

0 Kudos