VMware Cloud Community
gbrown2
Contributor
Contributor

linked mode sizing?

I'm looking to implement vcenter linked mode (5.5 on windows/external sql DB), Are there documents or sizing guidelines that are different than a single vcenter?

Basically, looking to put vcenter in each region (americas, emea, apac) since APAC is fairly small do I have to have it the same size vcenter implementation as I would my largest vcenter (US), or do I size each as I would if they had no linked mode. This question is regarding sizing for both vcenter server as well as sql db sizing?

thx,

GB

0 Kudos
1 Reply
RyanH84
Expert
Expert

Hi,

I have the luxury of having two sites that are the same size. Therefore vCenter was configured with linked mode with multi-site SSO (sharing the same SSO instance) and as both sites are sized the same for failover reasons - I didn't have this problem! Smiley Happy

I'd be happy to be corrected, but I believe you want to size your vCenters for the local site they are managing. So in this instance, deploy your APAC instance which is for "small" and your USA vCenter as "Medium" or "Large" depending on where you fit in. The SQL requirements, are again, for your local vCenter requirements.

Linked mode is essentially a cool feature that let's you manage all vCenters from one vSphere client. There are plenty of good docs available on linked mode, I used the main VMware KB to get me going though.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Regards, Ryan vExpert, VCP5, VCAP5-DCA, MCITP, VCE-CIAE, NPP4 @vRyanH http://vRyan.co.uk