VMware Cloud Community
SurajRoy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

is vCenter 6.0 windows machine impacted by CVE-2021-44228?

I have a old vCenter environment running 6.0.

As per the KB https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/87081   vCenter 6.5 and above is impacted.

Can we confirm if vCenter 6.0 is impacted or not?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
fabio1975
Commander
Commander

Ciao 

yes it is impacted

Check this kb:

Workaround instructions to address CVE-2021-44228 in vCenter Server Windows (87096) (vmware.com)

vCenter Server 6.0 on Windows

vCenter Server 6.0 is no longer in general support but has also been identified as vulnerable to CVE-2021-44228 due to the Performance Charts service. Mitigation steps have been identified as follows:
  1. Backup and edit C:\Program Files\VMware\vCenter Server\perfcharts\wrapper\conf\wrapper.conf on the appliance and add a new line below "wrapper.java.additional.13=-Dlog4j.configurationFile=file:" with the following content:
wrapper.java.additional.14=-Dlog4j2.formatMsgNoLookups=true
  1. Save the file and restart the VMware Performance Charts service

Fabio

Visit vmvirtual.blog
If you're satisfied give me a kudos

SurajRoy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you Fabio for your immediate response.

I think I am good as I am running vCenter 6.0 U3h and as per KB : " vCenter Server Appliance versions 6.0GA - 6.0U3i are not vulnerable. However, versions 6.0 U3a/b/c/d/e/f were found to contain the following unused vulnerable jar files. 

So no action needed for U3h.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
fabio1975
Commander
Commander

Ciao 

Ok, but the post title is "is vCenter 6.0 windows machine..." but now you talk of vCenter Server Appliance ....

I don't understand 🙂 

Fabio

Visit vmvirtual.blog
If you're satisfied give me a kudos

0 Kudos
SurajRoy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

My bad yes, we have Windows and I need to follow the instruction shared in the KB 🙂

0 Kudos