VMware Cloud Community
baber
Expert
Expert

is that necessary restart vm after create new admision control percentage

Dear All

Hi

i have installed new vcenter 6.0 and all of hosts are connect to vcenter 5.5 now i want move all of them to new vcenter 6.0 and config admision control percentage now i want to know if i want my admision control new percentage on new vcenter 6.0 work excellent when add host to new vcenter i have to restart vm for compatible admission control ?

BR

Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue.
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Mattallford
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

‌Hi there,

Changes to Admission Control settings on a cluster do not require a virtual machine restart (or any additional post configuration task, for that matter).

Cheers, Matt.

VCP6-DCV | VCAP6-DCV Deploy @mattallford If you found my answers useful, please help me by marking them as Helpful or Correct!
0 Kudos
RAJ_RAJ
Expert
Expert

Hi ,

Admission control settings are on vcenter level , you don't need to restart any VM

RAJESH RADHAKRISHNAN VCA -DCV/WM/Cloud,VCP 5 - DCV/DT/CLOUD, ,VCP6-DCV, EMCISA,EMCSA,MCTS,MCPS,BCFA https://ae.linkedin.com/in/rajesh-radhakrishnan-76269335 Mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answered your query!
0 Kudos
baber
Expert
Expert

image my first vcenter 5.5 admison controlls for cpu is : 25% and for ram is :25% but on new vcenter these digits will be change to 30% and 30% . after migrate vms to new vcenter 6.0 is not necessary restart vms for adopt with new configs?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

As mentioned by the other posters before, Admisson Control settings are not related to the VMs, but to HA on the vCenter Server level, so there's no need to restart the VMs.

André

0 Kudos
baber
Expert
Expert

is your means if i migrate a vm  to a vcenter that admision control is enabled if that cluster not have enough resource can not migrate to new vcenter?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

What I understood from your initial question is that you want to move the ESXi hosts from one vCenter Server to another one!?

There will be no change in the VM's power state in this case. However, as soon as the hosts are joined to the new HA enable cluster, the new Admission Control settings will take affect, and will allow or disallow - depending on the resource usage - additional VMs to be powered on.

André

0 Kudos
RAJ_RAJ
Expert
Expert

Hi ,

There is no need to restart or power off the VM .

Make sure you have enough resources on the cluster where you are going o enable the admission control .

Example  -  all vms on the current setup utilization is 60-70 %  admission control 25 % is fine .

if it is less than 65 %  you may go for 30 %    . Else once you enable admission control it won't power on few vms to adjust the admission control.

just cross check your utilization and configure admission control .

RAJESH RADHAKRISHNAN VCA -DCV/WM/Cloud,VCP 5 - DCV/DT/CLOUD, ,VCP6-DCV, EMCISA,EMCSA,MCTS,MCPS,BCFA https://ae.linkedin.com/in/rajesh-radhakrishnan-76269335 Mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answered your query!
0 Kudos