VMware Cloud Community
KuotaiDavidSu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

instead of migrate old vcenter, if we create a new vcsa and add old hosts to the new vcsa, will it work, anything suggestion?

Thank you in advance. I am hoping experts in this communities can help me out here.

We are setting up a new VMware Data Center Cluster. Instead of migrating existing vcenter, I am thinking of creating a new vcsa, create a new clusrter, add hosts to it. I know VM folders probably will not be carry over, but will the AD permissions assigned to VMs in the old cluster be carried over?  We do not use distributed viirtual switches only sandard virtual switch. Will this work?

Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Generally speaking, yes, this will work. Permissions will not be carried over. There are many, many more complexities and caveats here, so I'd recommend you read my article here to get a better understanding.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Generally speaking, yes, this will work. Permissions will not be carried over. There are many, many more complexities and caveats here, so I'd recommend you read my article here to get a better understanding.

sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

It works,we just did it, just pace your self, we sometimes migrated to many vms at once and overloaded the hosts before everything could balance correctly. Out of 800ish vms we only had 1 outage happen because of a weird file locking issue. The worst part is copying the alarms, permissions, and folders over and making sure they match.

alleninbroomfie
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This is the one that should be marked as the correct answer.  You'll also lose some historical data.  I'd just migrate it if you can-- but building a new one works as well as long as you're good with all the attendant headaches that go with it.

KuotaiDavidSu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you guys for your prompt response. I read the migration guide. it is very helpful.

0 Kudos