VMware Cloud Community
bluejeff
Contributor
Contributor

incorrectly mount virtual disk file, data now cannot be read

my windows server 2016 on esxi server was attacked by virus and cannot be boot, but i need some files from this server, so i mount the vmdk (vm_name_0.vmdk) file to another vm, but i cannot find my files, then i realized that I have created a snapshot for this vm months ago, there is another vm_name_0-000001.vmdk file, but when i try to mount this file to other vm, an error message showup:

Failed to add disk scsi0:1.
File system specific implementation of LookupAndOpen[file] failed
Failed to lock the file Cannot open the disk '/vmfs/volumes/5a212f7b-06b5e2d4-2ec1-246e9668516c/vm_name/vm_name_0-000001.vmdk' or one of the snapshot disks it depends on.

and this vm_name_0-000001.vmdk cannot copy to other datastore, and the vm cannot clone, because of this vmdk file.

any idea how i can work through this issue?

Server details:

ESXi 6.5

vCenter 7.0

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

To get an idea of what may be causing the issue, please provide some details.

What I could think of is a CID mismatch, because base .vmdk was in use. To find out about this, see whether the "parentCID" value in the snapshot .vmdk file matches the "CID" in the parent .vmdk file. If it doesn't you may try to modify the snapshot's parentCID.

If that's not the case, take a look at the helper VM's current vmware.log file. Maybe this file contains details about the issue.

André

0 Kudos
bluejeff
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you André,

I have checked the vmdk files for CID, yes its were dismatched, but when I modify it to match the CID of parent disk, it still not work, same error message.

But finally, i found the solution for this issue:

the reason that the snapshot vmdk cannot be mount to other vm, is the parent vmdk file has been modified when i mount it to other vm, it break the link between original disk and snapshot disk.

I restored the vm back to the last snapshot and the old snapshot vmdk file is still remaining in the datastore, modify parentCID in this snapshot vmdk to match the original vmdk's CID, and mount the snapshot vmdk to another vm, then I can finally read out the file created after that snapshot.

0 Kudos