VMware Cloud Community
empb
Contributor
Contributor

going from memory metric DRS load balancing to DRS of vCenter 7

Anyone here who upgraded from vCenter 6.7 with memory metric load balancing to vCenter 7 with the new DRS and ran into DRS load balancing issues after it?

Some of the symptoms could be:
-no load balancing at all
-totally unbalanced ESX's with some having high CPU load and low memory load (30%), and others at the same time have a very high memory load (90%)

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DeviVmware
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello,

After upgrading have you seen vcls vm's deployed and running ? I assume you upgraded to 7.0 U1 or later. Please refer below KB to understand about VCLS.

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/80472

DRS logic of balancing also changed in 7.0 U1. Refer below KB.

https://core.vmware.com/resource/drs-improvements-vsphere-7#section1

0 Kudos
Manuel35
Contributor
Contributor

DRS selects a host that has 7463 MB available for this machine if it needs to move this virtual machine to improve the load balance of the cluster.

MyCCPay Log In

0 Kudos
empb
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Manuel,

Memory available from which perspective/metric? Memory usage, demand, or something else?

Did you run into issues or had to add ESX just from going from vCenter 6.7 to  7.0Ux ? 

0 Kudos
empb
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Devi, I already went through explanation and white papers and whatnot what the new DRS supposed to make great. But not explaining what the shift from memory metric load balancing to DRS2 means in regards to ESX resource requirement.

For us a cluster with 9 ESX with memory metric had no balance issues but just after upgrading and a few days the cluster was totally unbalanced up to a point of causing memory swapping on VM's.

That improved adding an additional ESX and at some point it indicated getting close to having issues balancing again.

0 Kudos
DeviVmware
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

What is the state of your vcls VM's ?

0 Kudos
empb
Contributor
Contributor

its shows Healthy, never showed anything else that I am aware off:

empb_0-1646209796101.png

But this bounces around, sometimes all are in green, sometimes most are in blue:

empb_1-1646209850109.png

0 Kudos