VMware Cloud Community
sadiq1435
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

filetransfer error from vsphere web client to the datastore

Dear All

I had a problem while uploading an iso file from vCenter Server using vsphere web client . I installed the vmware clientntergration plugin for uploading files from the web browser to the datastore and still i get the error "filetransfer.exe has stopped working" on both Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox browsers.  I could successfullly transfer the iso file from vsphere client connecting directly to the ESX server . Did anyone face this issue before .

Thanks

Mohammed Sadiq

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JagadeeshDev
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hello,

Looks like  NFC ( Network File copy service) has some issues. Could you please connect to the vcenter server via vsphere client and try transferring the files ?  If it fails then you need to check the ports,IP , DNS etc , .

http://www.myitblog.in/
0 Kudos
sadiq1435
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi JD

This is vcenter 6 so it cannot be accessed from vsphere client . Vsphere web client is the only supported option .

Thanks

0 Kudos
JagadeeshDev
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi ,

I would suggest you to check and confirm the below things.

• Port 901/902 should be opened between the client and the VC server
  • DNS configuration for the host and the VC
  • Try restarting the VC service / server
http://www.myitblog.in/
0 Kudos
goharsultan
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Sadiq,

I don't know that you are still facing this problem or not but i have found a solution for this issue maybe that works for you. I have added ESXi hosts in vcenter through web client by their host names e.g. esx1.domain.com. I have configured dns server on windows server 2012 r2 on which i have installed vcenter and resolved their ip to their Names. Then i have tried to upload a file from my local-pc(not from windows server 2012 r2) to iSCSI datastore and encountered that same issue which you have faced. Btw i was using google chrome and all ports were open at my side.

This issue is due to my local-pc can't resolve the ip for that ESXi host. So i have used that windows server 2012 r2 to upload files to datastore. You can either do that or you can update your local-pc host file.

Thanks

Gohar Sultan

0 Kudos
xtRaVx
Contributor
Contributor

I know this post is older than dirt and the OP probably doesn't care, but it came up in Google for me when I was having the same issue.

I already had my ESXi host's fully qualified domain name (FQDN) in DNS (both forward and reverse), but I had not gone into ...

ESXi's Configuration -> DNS and Routing -> Properties...

... and set my hostname and domain to match the FQDN in DNS. After setting that, the seemingly quirky fileTransfer.exe thing stopped crashing.

Credit to the other poster for the DNS tip that led to this discovery.

0 Kudos