VMware Cloud Community
Tomas45
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

export VM to network device

Hello,

first, I am sorry for my english.

I need help with my problem.When I need export Vritual machine from ESX host , my browser starts save 2 files - .VMDK(disk), .OVF(conf.). But I need save this files to NAS, because  I need move my big size VM to another virtualization.

Is there some possibility,how can I do that ?

Thank you so much for your answers.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GayathriS
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

when you export its exporting it in OVF template and giving you the VMDK disk which is mapped to that VM .

I  think you are planning to move this VM to different storage/datastore i.e NAS datastore ? if this is case m then you can do a storage migration.

Storage VMotion allows you to move a running virtual machine from one VMFS volume to another. Taking

the virtual machine or its associated storage offline is not required. All datastore types are supported, including local storage, VMFS, and NAS (network attached storage).

Please consider marking this answer as "correct" or "helpful" if you think your questions have been answered.

regards

Gayathri

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
GayathriS
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

when you export its exporting it in OVF template and giving you the VMDK disk which is mapped to that VM .

I  think you are planning to move this VM to different storage/datastore i.e NAS datastore ? if this is case m then you can do a storage migration.

Storage VMotion allows you to move a running virtual machine from one VMFS volume to another. Taking

the virtual machine or its associated storage offline is not required. All datastore types are supported, including local storage, VMFS, and NAS (network attached storage).

Please consider marking this answer as "correct" or "helpful" if you think your questions have been answered.

regards

Gayathri

0 Kudos
thomasross
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

if the NAS is in the same vcenter, you can do a storage vmotion.

If not, I prefer to save it as an OVA file. You will have to save to a local disk. After that, you can copy it or ftp it to wherever you need it. I've used this to copy it the other side of the globe, It took awhile, but it worked.

Hope this helps.

Tommy

0 Kudos
Tomas45
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for solution.

Best regards.

Tomas Musil

0 Kudos